Discolored Spot on Painted Dresser
My daughter has a white painted dresser that we purchased from a local furniture store. She had a small plastic bag with some incense sitting on it and it discolored the paint yellow. I am thinking of trying to rub it out with some rubbing compound, but would like to see if anyone has a better solution. Anyone have any idea what type of paint the commercial furniture makers use? Thanks.

Mike J
I would guess pigmented lacquer. Dab some lacquer thinner on it with a Q-tip in an inconspicuous place. If the Q-tip come off with white on it it's probably lacquer. If so, you might be able to cover the offending yellow area by spraying white rattle can lacquer on it. Take a piece of cardboard and cut a hole in it about the size of the yellow area. Hold it a couple of inches above the spot and spray through the hole in short bursts, checking as you go. Obviously, you want to practice first on some scrap.

John
Take a soft cloth moistened liberally with alcohol and see if that will remove it. Be careful that you don't turn a small spot into a large spot though.

If that doesn't work what John said!
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Thanks for the replies. My wife called Hom Furniture today and they stock a replacement top for $50 so that is probably the route we are going to go. I'm going to try the alcohol and lacquer thinner, but I'm not very confident I'll get it to completely disappear.

Mike J