Madrone
Got an e-mail from Rockler this AM, boy do they -love- the Madrone they are selling... $549 for a slab that people with little figure or color.
Madrone
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
A little expensive for turning, don't you think?
Herb G said:

A little expensive for turning, don't you think?

Dah..... I pay $1.25/lb (wet-green) for Madrone burl, with better color and figure.
Of course then I have to cut it up, rough it, boil/steam/pressure-cook (I boil), let it dry.. All the processing these guys do

I also get Madrone (non-burl) for -free-. But again I have to process it.

But then I have Madrone growing in my yard.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Someday I will get a piece of Madrone burl and see what all the hype is about it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A piece like this?

I had a bunch of plain madrone I was given for free. even coated in wax it warped and split so badly I ended up burning it. I probably won't bother with it again unless it's burl.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Ya Steve, you have to treat the plain Madrone the same as burl. I have a bunch setting in a 30 gal barrel right now to keep it wet until I get around to it.
Other wise, yup, it's fire-wood.
If it cracks even after it is boiled and taken care of the way it should be why does anyone still use it?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It's good for something
Very nice Angus. Is it part of the feature ring?

I also like the yellow heart in it too.

Arlin Eastman said:

If it cracks even after it is boiled and taken care of the way it should be why does anyone still use it?

I don't believe it does if you do the process right

Robbo is the man to ask on Madrone