Segmented Blanks and Hand Tools?
Hi

Do you have any thoughts on how to make segmented turning blanks with a miter box or band saw? Without too much drudgery, that is.

I was an enthusiastic turner of segmented bowls, vessels and lamps, until about a year ago when I downsized my shop. I gave up space for my table saw and chop saw. I kept a band saw, router table, and my lathe. Now I rip on the band saw and crosscut with a miter box.

I want to get back to segmented turning but the idea of cutting 100 plus segments per object with a miter box is a bit discouraging. Maybe the band saw will work. I have gotten pretty good with jigs for a circular (carpenter's ) saw, maybe I could cook up something to cut segments. I'm writing to see if you have any suggestions about how to do this.

To put this in perspective: a chop saw or portable table saw is the obvious solution but it would really crowd my shop. Or, I could drive 20 min each way to my son's shop where my old TS and all my segment jigs live now. So this is not a huge deal. I'm just wondering what ideas you may have.

Doug
You could probably use a BS with a high tpi count but I would expect it would still require sanding every cut edge. It always seemed too tedious so I never attempted it, but some of the designs out there certain have that wow factor that make it a bit tempting.

Best just to go to penturners.org and ask those guys how they do it.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Doug

I have never done any segmented work before and I am sure others will chime in also.

I grew up in Conifer Park and went to school in Evergreen and Boulder high school so a Hearty welcome buddy.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks, Arlin. Hope you are well.

Doug
If you do not have room for a good quality mitersaw then maybe you need to move. They do not take up much room. You do not need a sliding miter. You will get better quality cuts and much more accurate.
John T.
Drive the 20 min. and save yourself some aggravation.
Make a set of shooting boards to clean up your bandsaw cuts if you're a hand tool guy.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I can't imagine doing segmented work on a bandsaw or a miter box
Thanks to all

I appreciate your suggestions. Angus, I can't imagine it either.

My choices have boiled down to (1) drive the 20 minutes to visit all my stuff at my son's shop or (2) get a Byrne miniature table saw ($400-$500) Of course if I choose #2 I might also have to find a new place to sleep.

Doug
Doug

I seen this the other day and thought of you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/38100148170...noapp=true

or

http://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-Mini-M...ut-Off-Saw,9639.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4kxRPtmw5LZkClOJ2kiwhMaHYAQdD5v3rMkFBZj69PBoCu8Dw_wcB

I also googled and came up with this

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_80oybogaz7_b

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.