Design Needs Some Help
Folks,

I'm working on a coffee table for Son #1. He gave me a design to use, but it was very minimalist as you can see in the link

Coffee Table

He just wants a top and a shelf. I've already tried to spruce up the top and shelf by routing a profile underneath to make them look lighter and I radiused the ends; I'm happy so far. I originally didn't think the slanted legs looked good in the diagram, so I went for tapered legs. Now, I think they look too plain and I'm open to ideas from the Woodnet community on ways to spruce them up a bit.

One last fact, I'm on a deadline because he's moving out of the area this summer. Redoing the whole thing is not an option.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I think your idea to thin the edge of the top is good and I would do it by planing an incline back from the edge at least 2-3 inches. I think the legs are too bulky but maybe there is nothing you can do about it at this stage. The shelf looks too close to the top. I think it should be a few inches closer to the floor so it doesn't look like is on stilts. I gather that the table is already built. Is it glued up already? Ken
Not glued up yet. That's a loose dry fit in the pictures. He had the shelf exactly half way in the diagram; I thought that didn't look very well proportioned and I should go up or down; I chose up.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I agree with Ken, the legs do look too bulky and the shelf would look better dropped.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I'm not saying leave it this way, but reassemble with the legs upside down. Step back and study. Ideas may come.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Down with the shelf ............ but then it looks like you already notched the legs to set it in place. I wouldn't want to buy four new walnut pieces for new legs. Stuck there!

Is it too late to rotate/swap the legs in order reverse the tapers?
I am more used to seeing the taper on the inboard side...that being said, what you and your son think far out weighs the opinions of an outsider looking in...
I always put the taper on the inside also. In this case, before making the legs, my son and I propped up the shelf and top at approximate height and used cardboard templates to help visualize the legs. At the time, it seemed like a taper on the outside was best and would be visually appealing because it seemed to help lead the eye along the different lengths of the shelf and top. I guess it just goes to show that you can't trust cardboard.

I think I'll try tapering the inside of the legs also. That would help make the legs seem lighter and more symmetric while still keeping the "lead the eye up the shelf and top" effect.

I still like having the shelf closer to the top. The shelf is going to collect as much or more trash than the top, and I think this way helps hide the accumulation.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Mark

Many years ago, I built a coffee table with angled legs. In fact, angled and beveled everything.
See if this does anything for you:

http://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#alb...9731405553

I think you should try angled legs.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Putting grooves the length of the legs would help them look thinner and also create an interesting detail. Like this but maybe without the round over.

" />
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!