I'm a Girl, So I Can Cry
Lumber yard had the prettiest piece of BB I've ever seen--perfect for the counter in the van. So pretty I decided not to cover it with laminate. Counter has an odd-shaped section (about 16" X 25”) that is the lid for the fridge. By some magic, I was able to get a pattern match for this lid and get it cut very nicely for its hole. Really stoked at this point.

Next step was a 1" rim underneath the lid to give it the depth of double thickness yet leave the recess for insulation over the fridge. By golly, nailed that one, too. The rim pieces are even an almost grain match. Super-duper stoked at this point, especially considering that the band saw tire broke and this is the last piece for the van, so I can worry about the band saw tire later when I get back from our trip we're supposed to leave for next week. Besides visiting family, I'm supposed to met up with several other guys who have converted this van. Looking forward to showing it off.

Get the lid all screwed together and lay it on the bench to give the edges a little rounding over. OOPS!!!! The rim, with 23 screw holes a half inch in from the edge, is on the top.

Overnight, I will contemplate whether to start over or to try to fill the 23 holes with something that looks intended. If I just plug them, it will look like polka dots. Banding would look OK, but I've never done it. It would need to be maybe 1/4" wide. There are 2 square corners, 2 inside corners and 4 outside corners.

Ideas welcome. At least if I have to do it over, I used no glue. This is no ordinary slab counter, but has weird stuff underneath to accommote the weird counter it's sitting on.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I feel your pain. Banding sounds good. Time to stretch the skill set.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Pull it off, put it on the bottom and use contrasting wood plugs. Mahogany or walnut would be great. If you have a 1/4" plug cutter, they would be small enough to look like part of the design.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I'd cry too. For a little while.

Then either burn it or fix it depending on my mood.

I like your idea of banding since it seems to be straight runs.

To avoid the fear of veneer, I'd do a 1/8" thick inlay. Brass would be cool, but a tad expensive. Considering its BB, maybe something darker like cherry or walnut.

Make a sample board with your intended bit to get the width right. Then make the strips to match. Don't trust the catalog width of the bit. You can modify your bit depth once the strips are done. Go for slightly proud and sand back to flush. Maybe seal the surface of the BB first so you don't blend sanding dust colors if that looks like it might be a problem.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
But it's not just straight runs. 8 corners/curves. Even with the jig I made up (see concurrent thread) I had the devil of a time with all those curves. The 1" ribs I ended up with are fine for ribs, but nowhere good enough to be inlay on top.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

pull that rim off put it on the bottom glue something pretty on the top
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

MsNomer said:

But it's not just straight runs. 8 corners/curves. Even with the jig I made up (see concurrent thread) I had the devil of a time with all those curves. The 1" ribs I ended up with are fine for ribs, but nowhere good enough to be inlay on top.

Quote:

There are 2 square corners, 2 inside corners and 4 outside corners.

Gives the impression of linear features. Figured it was a companion to the other piece.

Unless your screw holes were very regularly placed, dots will look bad.

I would now go with skinning with another material. You could figure out how to follow a curve for an inlay, but I'd not plan my first attempt to be very good. I know I'd fail at it.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I have no doubt you can turn that pattern of holes into some sort of inlay that will look like you planned it.
Phydeaux
Having slept on it, I think you're right. A continuous line is too daunting, but divide and conquer, it's just a few simple inlays and they don't have to be narrow--wider is easier. I'm feeling OK about it now. I had been contemplating an inlay anyway, but I would have liked to have chosen when I do it.
Carolyn

Can you cut off that edge and put a contrasting wood in its place?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.