Would you Park Under this? - Hanging Air Filter
Hello all,

This weekend I hung up an air filter. The entire unit only ways about 70lbs. All of the chain and hooks that I used are rated for much higher than that. Having never done this before... I'm more concerned with the way that I hung it.

Here's a pic:

In the pic there is some leftover chain that I put around as a fail safe (you can ignore that...they are the pieces that go under the unit). But what is really supporting it is what I traced over in red. The unit is connected to the chain through 4 eye bolts.

The chain wraps over two roof rafters, and is a continuous piece.

If anybody has any advice on something that I should consider changing...I'm all ears.

Also...technically, is there a front and back of this thing? obviously it blows out the end that isn't shown. For perspective, the filter is facing towards the garage door.

Thanks,
Chris
I placed mine at one end of my shop near the lathe and TS. I used 4 inch eye bolts directly into the ceiling beams.
Don
Looks okay to me. Of course, I'd like to see the connections to the unit and the rafters up close, to pass final inspection.
Your installation is over kill. I'd be completely OK with it.

Also, I'd not be concerned about parking under it. I'd be concerned about working under it. Cars are cheap. Heads, not so much.

Regarding air flow. Doesn't matter too much to me. Mine is pointed in the opposite way, but for no good reason. My perspective is that the inlet should be where the dirty air is. The outlet makes little difference unless its blowing on a place where you are likely to have wet finishes.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I would, but then my truck is 20 years old and has over 235K miles. Not sure I would park a Ferrari under it.

I think I would put some nails in the chain at the rafter just in case something happened and the chain broke on one leg then there would still be three holding it. If it is just looped over the rafter, one leg breaking would release one whole side. Not that it should be an issue with the chain you have.
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I was going to do the nail thing (or a screw) through the chain. I was thinking of it more as a way to make sure the chain couldn't rotate (or revolve around) the rafters when we have an earthquake.

It's funny that I'm way more concerned about my car than my head.

it's only about a 6" drop from the bottom of the unit to the top of my head. Plus, it isn't really in a place where I would be standing (I will walk under it though).
Is it blocking the light? Can't see the connections so it's hard to tell but it's probably OK, it's not like Whittier ever has big earthquakes......... Those red ropes should help!
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Nope...Never

It blocks a little bit of light going to the back of the garage...but I'm always standing on the other side, so it won't interfere. Plus, there are other lights towards the back.
Cross the chains in an "X" to keep it from swaying.

I'd surely park your car under it.
You're in earthquake country, Chris. While that's perfectly fine for a building that stands still, one decent earthquake and the unit starts swinging and possibly will come right out of one end of the looped chains. OTOH, an earthquake that big might cause you more concerns than a displaced air filtering unit.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill