Help with Making Door Molding?
Good Morning all. Looking to Dress up some Stub&Tenon Cabinet Doors made for Brother.I was wanting to make some Quarter round Mld. with 1/4 round bit on Router Table on wide 4/4 Stock then rip into strips on Table Saw,to dress Up interior panels on Doors.Looking for suggestions on proper way to do this?Thanks in advance for Responses . ..Kenneth
If your panels are centered on 3/4" rails & stiles and your panels are 1/4" thick, then you have 1/4" from your panel to outside of stile/rail. What I'd do is:
1. reduce your 4/4 stock to 1/4" thick
2. use your 1/4 round bit on the 1/4" stock
3. rip the 1/4 round part at the width you'd like
4. miter the ends and glue to stile/rail.

That should work.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Joel,Thanks for the Reply.That is exactly what i considered on doing to Make Molding.Let Me ask you about another technique to See if You think it might Work? The reason i ask this i have so many doors to do,trying to save on Materials.Here goes, take an extra wide blank of 4/4 stock rout 1/4" profile on all 4-edges,go to table saw turn Board on edge rip thickness to right depth,with Zero insert installed in Table saw,lay Board flat,then cut to the right Width.To end up with 4-pieces of Trim. Do You think this will Work?,Or is it not safe to attempt this?Thank you for Reply's...Kenneth
That is exactly the way I cut that profile molding. I would over cut the edge enough that the molding always falls free when you make the flat rip cuts. I would also suggest you set up a stop block on the outfeed of the TS so the roundover is not trapped between the fence and the blade. That will speed up the cutting and do so safely

get ready for the grind, it is going to take time and a lot of steps.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I'm good with that! And Joe's safety methods as well.
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!