Hickory and Walnut Demilune table
Demilune table for our entryway.
Hickory for the bent lamination and legs, the top is veneered with walnut, the rose is curly maple and sapele. Finished with some homebrew wiping varnish.
The sapele stands out much better against the walnut than my photos show. A few build pictures are here .
Thanks for looking.

I am not a fan of a lot of pieces with mixed species of wood--way to "in your face" for my tastes. The different woods used in this piece are just perfect. Well done. Ken
Nice work John

Lotta clamps

Did you just follow the rose outline to cut in with a knife, veneer saw? Free hand, following a straight edge? Seems like there are a lot of ways to skin that cat. I have never done an inlay except for a straight line edge with a shallow router setup. Inquiring mind
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yup. Different woods for different colors in an inlay or artwork, not to emphasize construction components.

Nice job.
Phydeaux
Very, very nice.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Nice! Love it all. The hickory, sapele, maple, walnut. Well done, young man!
Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Vewwy vewwy nice.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Very nice. I am selling my shop off and going to take up knitting

Thank you for all the kind words.

SteveN - I made the rose first using a 22.5 degree wedge as a cutting guide. There are 12 walnut sections at 15 degrees to fit around the rose and then I glued the whole thing to the top as one piece. I tried my best to keep the walnut grain in each piece flowing towards the center point. I edged the top in pieces that line up with the walnut sections to keep with the wedge look. The top turned out well, but not as smooth as I'd like. I don't have a vacuum press and I don't think I got enough pressure evenly across the surface. I can feel a few ripples in the walnut.

And yes, a lotta clamps. I even used a strap down the middle to really cinch it down. The bending form I used is a design from Wood magazine. I practiced a few times clamping it. I also soaked down the laminations and clamped it wet for a few days. That made it a lot easier to clamp together when I glued it since each piece had a good bit of curve to it. There wasn't nearly as much spring back as I was expecting, so I was happy with that. There is very little outward stress on the rear legs.
Wowsers!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard