Centering Tile
Just picked up a batch of tile for the kitchen. I will be ripping out the laminate and underlayment, and laying down cement board and the tile.

I measured and drew out the floor plan so I can plan the tile layout.

Kitchen is a basic L shape with a few kinks.

From the front door, the threshold into the kitchen is 6' 10" wide, but it widens to 7' 5" at the french door to the rear deck with some additional space to the right. The door kind of becomes the focal point, but the kitchen table blocks some of the view of the floor.

Should I center the tiles on entrance into the kitchen
or
Center it on the french door at the rear.

Or take into consideration of the where the floor takes a right turn to the sink, fridge, stove area and center off the entire width?

Here is the sketch of what I have so far. The tile is 12" sq.

Two things I try to avoid when laying out a floor are full pieces or cuts smaller than a half tile along a wall.

If you center on the french doors or the overall room you end up with a sliver along the bathroom wall. I would center a tile in the hallway. This gives you an 11" piece along the long wall and bathroom and a 6" piece at the french door and fridge.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Break open the boxes and lay it out. you need a way out after you do so you don't paint yourself into a corner. Tile is a longtime product take your time putting it in so it doesn't become a long term annoyance
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Found an online tile layout tool. It recommended that I use full tiles along the wall and patio door, but that would mean skinny pieces other places.

One thing I left off the diagram is the entryway into the dining room on that long wall. Cutting the tiles to 11" would solve that extra inch of threshold into the dining room.
Bob10 said:

Break open the boxes and lay it out. you need a way out after you do so you don't paint yourself into a corner. Tile is a longtime product take your time putting it in so it doesn't become a long term annoyance

QFT.

You can see things that otherwise may have not been considered.
The pro that taught me flooring would have set the center of the long part and the center of the shorter part and started with 4 tiles at the juncture of those two lines. He told me the difference between a pro and a hack is a hack started along a wall.

He said a pro job had equal wide tiles on opposite sides of a room. I cut a lot of tile in the three weeks I worked with him.
Got the vinyl and underlayment pulled up today. The the the underlayment was installed before the cabinets were installed so it was a major PITA to get the underlayment removed. The builders did not use a lot of glue which was good for me, but they must have used a nail for every square inch of floor.

Should be able to get the cement boards down tomorrow and maybe a start on the tiles.

I did break down a few boxes and test some layouts so I feel good about how I centered them.