Scroll saw question
Anyone ever tried using a scroll saw to remove waste in dovetails. Seems like it might be a good idea
Thoughts
Mark
My dovetails do not have a waist to remove, but a friend who does marqutery uses her scroll saw to cut them. I can see using one to remove waste if I had a bunch of them-particularly if tearout is an issue.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Seems to me a coping saw would be easier.
Coping saw is really tough for me , my right hand is serious impaired.
Did it as a personal practice idea a few times. My thought was it would be a quick way for my skill set to cut out the waste, but then do some fine cleanup with a paring chisel in the corners. So-so opinion for it. A better scroll saw and a good eye might do a better job, considering this was just a practice effort.

what size kerf does your saw leave? If it's wide enough to allow easy entrance for the saw blade it could make it simple.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Never done that but --- try it. For you, time is not the major consideration. The scroll saw will give you a true perpendicular cut which is darn hard to get with coping saw then you clean up with a paring chisel. It should really pay off with small/short pieces. Longer and wider pieces will be a bear to wressel with. Good luck.
For removing waste on tails, probably. For pins, I'm not sure if your scroll saw will have enough tilt to get into the corners. You may need to add a wedge to make up that angle. Given you've mentioned your impaired hand, are you wanting to use the scroll saw to remove all the waste - no followup with a chisel? If that's the case, you will need a very steady feed to ensure a good fit. I haven't tried it, but I don't see any reason it couldn't work as long as you address the issues I pointed out.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yep - if you do scroll sawing then it's no big deal. I still leave the line. Just take your time like any thing on the SS.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.