Mortising, what to buy?
Am interested in doing some mortising and possibly purchase a mortise machine. What experiences and recommendations might you have for both a machine and the chisels. I live only 6 miles from a real live Grizzly store so that is my easiest source for a machine. The largest machine with 3450 RPM and 3/4 HP looks like the best option they provide. Open to other manufacturers as well. OK, I am listening to you experienced mortisers.
Check Fine Woodworing's archives; they did a comparison a while back.
We use a Powerematic in our shop, but all the major brands will do the job.
More important are quality chisels of high speed steel. Mortise chisels get HOT, cheap steel chisels can lose their temper very quickly. Spend the money on the best chisels you can get. Price will be your best indicator; stay away from "bargains"
I had one for quite some time, and it did very well.

I like the saw, chisel and knife way better and it's faster, so I gave it away.
There are a lot of options for making an M&T or similar joint in wood. Some are quite easy, some not so much. Have you thought of what project you will use M&T joinery on? Do you have a budget? Is space a consideration in your shop? Have you made any M&T joints? By filling in some of this type info the answers you get may be more helpful to you.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
OP here.
Retired, don't want to die with money in the bank and a mortiser is cheaper than buying coffee for a year. There are plenty of projects on my life-time to-do list which requires mortise and thru tenons. I have chopped the mortises before, an interesting skill I might not ever perfect. The mortising machine seems like a good way to reduce the time and I am certainly running out of time...
Thanks to those who have replied so far.
You might want to take a look at the machine John Teneyck makes and sells. He's a member here - jteneyck - is his user name. Do a search or PM him. It does mortises and much more. Several happy customers on Woodnet. Very reasonable price too.

Lonnie
It depends! If you aare going to do large mortises then jus a chisel and saw, If general furniture construction mortises then the DOMINO (by far the best general choice). If best flexibility then John's New Horizontal Router Mortiser with Tilitng X-Table . For something that you will likely not use much and be unhappy with then look at what you are messing with.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I have tried a variety of different machines, jigs, techniques - and for my money the Mortise Pal is my favorite. Precise, easy to use, flexible (can cut angled and compound mortises). I also like the fact it is a loose tenon technique. I cut everything to the exact length I need - no need to worry about figuring out dimensions for the tenon.

I use this tool for most of my M&T joints - highly recommended.

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/mortise-pa...-joint-cutting/
opticsguy said:

OP here.
Retired, don't want to die with money in the bank and a mortiser is cheaper than buying coffee for a year. There are plenty of projects on my life-time to-do list which requires mortise and thru tenons. I have chopped the mortises before, an interesting skill I might not ever perfect. The mortising machine seems like a good way to reduce the time and I am certainly running out of time...
Thanks to those who have replied so far.

If you want to die broke get both Festool Domino's
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Leigh Fmt Will help spend some of that money out of the bank. The good one is over $1000 and it will cut beautiful mortise and tenon's. I've never use the domino but I understand you're limited to about an inch in depth. I would stay away from the mortise chisel business. Router is the way to go..