Decision Backfires
I hate it when this happens...
Yesterday I was sizing the top for a dresser I am making. I had planned the overhang for the top over each of the sides. But decided at the last min that this overhang was too much. So I shortened it up by just a little. MISTAKE.
Put the top in place and just not happy with the way the shorter overhangs look.

Guess there are two options... remake the entire top... or add a bread board type end?
I would go the board stretcher route.

at least you will get some experience making the connections

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

What will make you the happiest? That's the route to take. Probably should remake it and start thinking of a new project to use the old top. Perhaps a night stand to match the dresser, etc.
illegalsmile said:

I was sizing the top for a dresser

Maybe I'm different, but when I am building anything up from scratch I tend to make panels, and tops out of plywood when I am still trying to figure out what it is I want. Dresser with breadboard ends? What style is that? Ima thinking new top.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
This might be an opportunity to go outside the box.

Since the top is not structural, you may be able to insert another wood type in the center (or maybe two - one on each end about 10" from the ends?). You could join them with a spline (of the original wood maybe).

Just trying to think that maybe there's another option.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Nice thing about wood. It's wood. No big deal, make another one.
What matters is a happy smiley face when you finish it.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Ouch. Hate that when it happens.
Ah just bite the bullet and make a new one
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

At least it doesn't have 23 screw holes in it.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
You know.... that actually has inspired some additional thought. Cross grain expansion would of course have to be considered.. but since it can expand "out the back" all it wants thats not a huge issue. Maybe working from the "middle out" needs some careful consideration !
Joel H. said:

This might be an opportunity to go outside the box.

Since the top is not structural, you may be able to insert another wood type in the center (or maybe two - one on each end about 10" from the ends?). You could join them with a spline (of the original wood maybe).

Just trying to think that maybe there's another option.

Joel

I like what Joel said.

Plus next time you can use plywood or something else first to see what the size would look like first then you can cut or leave the top the same.

I can not wait to see what you made.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.