Hi,

I have a Crafstman air compressor given to me as a gift a number of year ago. It is pretty small, weighs maybe 15 lbs, but for the infrequent use it is fine for me. I use the compressor just a few times each year for finish nails or staples.

Recently the motor began smoking when I turn it on and would like to see if it can be repaired before I replace it.

I am not exactly sure what kind of repair place to search for to do this, though. I don't think "small engine repair" is right as that is mostly lawnmowers.

What kind of company to call for this?

Thanks....Mike

A motor shop (search electric motor repair). To be honest, I'd look for a replacement first to get an idea of the cost before having that one diagnosed. The minimum charge may equal what a replacement would cost, and once the magic smoke gets released it can get pretty expensive to have it put back in.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What he said, right up there, next floor. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A motor repair shop will probably say a) throw it away and buy a new compressor, followed by b) that'll be $60. Cash, check, or credit card.

Those little motors aren't designed to be serviced. There is an off-chance that it's easily fixed, but it's far off. Once they start smoking, it usually means the winding insulation is burning, and that requires rewinding. And I doubt they even have winding data for it. But even if they did, it would cost more than a new compressor.

You might get lucky if you crack open the housing and can find a number on the motor and find a replacement, but that's as far as I'd take it. If that far.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Id check the motor for a faceplate and frame. Check rpm and fla. Verify length and diameter of motor shaft. Get on ebay and replace it.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you haven't already, give the entire compressor a thorough clean out with some compressed air. It could just be some debris caught between working surfaces inside the unit.
Who to ask to fix smoking compressor motor?