Almost done with my new WB (top, actually). Applied 2 layers of tung oil, want to finish it with something harder. Oil based varnish? Other ideas?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!

(02-08-2018, 08:20 PM)Scouter Wrote: Almost done with my new WB (top, actually). Applied 2 layers of tung oil, want to finish it with something harder. Oil based varnish? Other ideas?

My idea, sorry, is to not do it.

I like a penetrating finish for the bench that keeps water, glue, oil, finishes, and other things penetrate the wood but I still want the feel and friction of the grain at the surface.

A harder topcoat will limit friction and make my work slip around more.  It's also more difficult to repair and replenish.

My $0.02
Peter

My "day job"
I agree with Peter, as will most, I think.

A bench top is designed to take abuse.
Semper fi,
Brad

Yup, leave it raw wood.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
It's done now.........

Ed
What Peter said. I like the same mineral oil and parafin finish that is used on cutting boards.

John
Okay, majority (unanimity?) wins. thanks.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Late to the party as usual. I also agree with Peter. I finished my bench top with tung oil 10 years ago. I applied a bunch of coats - don't recall how many now - and waxed it after the oil cured. It has been a superb finish. Nothing sticks to it. It is tough and doesn't chip or flake off. I reapply wax occasionally and it reconditions the tung oil finish. My bench top needs a resurfacing, but it's not the finish that's the problem. I've just beat it up over the years. When I resurface it I will reapply a tung oil finish.
(02-08-2018, 08:20 PM)Scouter Wrote: Almost done with my new WB (top, actually). Applied 2 layers of tung oil, want to finish it with something harder. Oil based varnish? Other ideas?

Piling on - tung oil again! It's what I used when I built the European bench featured in Woodsmith #50. Has held up nicely but like others have mentioned, after years of use needs touchup and some more tung oil.

Doug

Is it real tung oil, or a tung oil finish?  The latter could be a thinned (wiping) varnish or an oil-varnish blend, or something else entirely.
Workbench finishing question