Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
What happened to my shops? Well the first one was in a boat house down in Jensen Beach Florida. That was a sweet little shop right on the river. I could walk out on the dock and fish. It was about 750 ft.². He got flooded out in 2004 by two hurricanes within 30 days. The machines all got wet but the motors stay dry. The insurance company paid me 70% of the value of the tools and then I just kept them ..I then moved to Hickory North Carolina where I built my dreamnshop

That dream shop was 2200 ft.² and had everything. Three-phase, lifting beam, walk in attic for storing lumber. All new big machines. Then I went through a divorce. My wife left me and the kids. And I lost the shop.

So I raise the kids and had no shop since 2009. I rented a house and the only thing I Was able to keep were my handtools. Finally got the kids graduated and they're both off to college now . And I got remarried and we finally got the house. So I'm setting up my third shop and its just a little two bay garage. It's the smallest shop yet but I'm happy to have it. I've been out of wood working since 2009 and it's just a thrill to get back in it.

This is the first bad tool I've ever got from grizzly. I've had Good results with the Taiwanese machines. Despite all the hassle with this Jointer I still like grizzly and they are taking it back. I imagine it would've been much harder to get a tool sent back to other places.
frigator said:

What happened to my shops? Well the first one was in a boat house down in Jensen Beach Florida. That was a sweet little shop right on the river. I could walk out on the dock and fish. It was about 750 ft.². He got flooded out in 2004 by two hurricanes within 30 days. The machines all got wet but the motors stay dry. The insurance company paid me 70% of the value of the tools and then I just kept them ..I then moved to Hickory North Carolina where I built my dreamnshop

That dream shop was 2200 ft.² and had everything. Three-phase, lifting beam, walk in attic for storing lumber. All new big machines. Then I went through a divorce. My wife left me and the kids. And I lost the shop.

So I raise the kids and had no shop since 2009. I rented a house and the only thing I Was able to keep were my handtools. Finally got the kids graduated and they're both off to college now . And I got remarried and we finally got the house. So I'm setting up my third shop and its just a little two bay garage. It's the smallest shop yet but I'm happy to have it. I've been out of wood working since 2009 and it's just a thrill to get back in it.

This is the first bad tool I've ever got from grizzly. I've had Good results with the Taiwanese machines. Despite all the hassle with this Jointer I still like grizzly and they are taking it back. I imagine it would've been much harder to get a tool sent back to other places.

Sounds like "life" happened to you and through it all you maintained your sanity, a healthy attitude and did the right thing (congrats on the kids!). Best of luck with the new jointer and I'm glad you have not soured on Grizzly. I was able to deal with "Papa Griz" directly when I bought my ShopFox 8" jointer and it went smoothly. My second Griz machine and I've been impressed with their quality for the price, and their service. Nothing is perfect. Hang in there and best of luck!

Doug
lil
After reading this whole thread, Robin, I'm glad things are going better for you now.
Shipping this POS back should be a piece of cake and not stressful. This machine is clearly defective, and will not be going back to a showroom floor- more than likely it will end up in a big dumpster and written off. I would have disassembled that thing into as many pieces as it took so that you could properly safely lift and handle it, purchase 5000' of clear stretch wrap from Grainger or U-Line, wrapped that bi%*ch to a couple of free pallets found at the local hardware store, and sent it on it's way. 3 hours labor, tops. But before doing any of that, I would have thoroughly documented, with video all the issues and uploaded them to any social networking site I could imagine.
I have a number of Grizzly machines, none newer than 8 years. They all work famously and Grizzly's support was always excellent. But I would in no way put up with what you have.
Tape it to a piece of wood and send it on it's way.
You are recommending dragging Grizzly under the bus knowing only one side of the story despite your praise for both their machines and customer service. Something doesn't fit.

John
frigator said:

...The tech guys said this happens with new suppliers. They can send me a new motor, they can send me a new pulley but chances are we're going to get the same result. The Chinese will eventually figure it out and straighten the design out...

If that's true, I'd be very, very wary of buying anything from Grizzly at all. Seriously, how can a company switch suppliers and put something on the market that inherently will not work? In my job (aerospace), we aren't allowed to make changes on the fly without first proving they work. If all this is true, it sounds a lot like what Teknatool went through when they moved their production from New Zealand to China. Moving production without properly ensuring quality is not compromised is not a good business practice, IMO.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've heard that Chinese producers will make as many good first articles as they need to in order to get a job, and then the production items will be different. Seems like most companies of any size keep an employee in China to keep that from happening. I would have thought the Grizzly would be on top of that issue.
I think Griz will sort this out, they have a lot of experience with this sort of thing, and don't want to trash their hard earned reputation. We also don't know if this is epidemic or one off. Either way, they will eventually identify the issue, and the OEM will have to eat the cost of the mistake.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
FWIW, I feel your pain. In all reality, I really dislike Tiawanese machines. Other than the price, what's to love about them, really? Ok, maybe the dust collection.

I have a few of them, but it's not by choice and they're always walking the line with staying in the shop if I come across a tank like built replacement for them.

I was basically BS free for nearly 2 years because I couldn't find a BS that I was happy with and fit into my budget. Sure, money fixes every machinery problem but it's hard to fudge over $1K plus for some of the BS's they have on the market today. The trunnions alone were a deal killer for me. Luckily I found a used a Laguna LT 18. Then again, when you run across a few older machines dirt cheap, it's hard to buy new stuff unless you have that kind of disposable income.

Not sure what doesn't fit John.
I like my Grizz machines, but clearly they have given the OP the run around. He paid for a new machine, which does not work, and they're telling him to pack it and ship it?
What would you do if this was a new car you bought?
What doesn't fit is that Robin is getting the short end of the stick for a machine that will get parted out and scrapped, by a company that seemed to have a great reputation for service. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
This is far from the first time this type thing has happened with Grizzly. Might be a simple machine but they have got them wrong before and seem to be again,

I may be wrong about the threat of a lawsuit but there are many here from that time that probably have a better memory of it. Got to the point people were afraid to bad mouth grizzly
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.