Great Rough Cut Episode
Saw the episode where he's getting help learning to make a Windsor Chair-----all with hand tools! Seemed like it was the first time Tommy saw a fro or many other hand tools. Whatsamatter----didn't Tommy every watch Roy Underhill? Anyway, it was a darned good show covering a lot of tricks in making the chair.
Dave
Maybe at the North Bennet Street School, Tommy Mac skipped the classes on chairmaking, or he took the carpentry curriculum. There are so many nuances on traditional chairmaking, you gotta appreciate the craftsmen that make them. Looking forward to seeing that episode. For some reason, all the SoCal PBS stations dropped Rough Cut for this time of the season. I wish they'd carry Rough Cut and drop American Woodworker.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Could be the show was scripted that way to make it more interesting. I haven't seen that show in a couple of years. But, although I didn't like the show, I got the impression that Tommy knew his way around a workshop.

I could be wrong.
See ya later,
Bill
Not saying he doesn't know his work----only that he sure didn't seem familiar with the fro or draw knife, etc.
Dave
AHill said:

Maybe at the North Bennet Street School, Tommy Mac skipped the classes on chairmaking, or he took the carpentry curriculum. There are so many nuances on traditional chairmaking, you gotta appreciate the craftsmen that make them. Looking forward to seeing that episode. For some reason, all the SoCal PBS stations dropped Rough Cut for this time of the season. I wish they'd carry Rough Cut and drop American Woodworker.

We have access to all of the shows, but the issue is they're broadcast on Saturday mornings, starting at 9:00 AM ending around 11:00 AM! Jeez, if I start watching TV at that time of the day, I may as well pack in accomplishing anything!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I've gotten the impression before that he plays dumb a little on some things so his guest can do the explaining. Who knows, maybe he's not playing on some things

Like someone else mentioned, our PBS is weird about showing it too. We'll get the "new" ones in a few months...
Benny

That's what I think also. He does ask some basic questions from time to time. He's pretty skilled IMO.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Yeah I feel like he deliberately asks the basics. Maybe realizing much of his audience doesn't know the basics...
Benny

Bill_de said:

Could be the show was scripted that way to make it more interesting. I haven't seen that show in a couple of years. But, although I didn't like the show, I got the impression that Tommy knew his way around a workshop.

I could be wrong.

Yes, he does know. It is part of the shtick in an effort to pull in more viewers. Same way Roy Underhill pretends not to know some detail and coaxes it out of his guests.

At NBSS, it may depend on who is running the chair making session at the time as to whether you make a "Windsor"-ish or a "Chippendale"-ish chair as part of the curriculum.

From the NBSS website description of the furniture & cabinetmaking two-year program :

http://www.nbss.edu/education/programs/c...index.aspx

"Students then design and construct at least one example of a table, a chair, and another piece of case work. These pieces are typically based on traditional 18th and 19th century furniture designs because the traditional models require the hand-skills and woodworking techniques that are the foundation of the NBSS curriculum. Students are encouraged to challenge themselves to learn new techniques and skills in each project they select and execute. "
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
After watching that episode I commented to my wife that it would have been better if Tommy stayed home and they let Peter do the whole thing. Not knocking Tommy but Peter's enthusiasm matches Tommy's and he's the chair guy.