Effect of void-filling epoxy on finishing?
I have a nice piece of curly cherry that I plan to use for table tops. There are some relatively small voids (around 1/2" x 3/16") that, unless I can plane them out, will show on the surface. As glasses of various liquids will wind up on two of the tables, I'll have to use a top coat of something liquid-friendly. I'll probably use shellac on the other piece.

Will epoxy used to fill the areas show once the finish has been applied, in either scenario? I know the epoxy will be visible; I mean will the area(s) be visible when looking at the top from an angle? I'll experiment once I start piecing out the curly stuff, but I need to start thinking about this soon.

Thanks,
Tony
I don't know how the voids wouldn't show up. Tint the epoxy black or very dark brown and don't worry about the finish. I'm thinking the finish won't adhere to the epoxy at all.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
As you will be topcoating any way why not use something like bondo with transtint? You should be able to get close enough that the filling will not show. I'd use shellac on both then topcoat with a good waterborne finish. The shellac will bring up the grain and help conceal the parch (if you use colored shellac or transtint in the shellac) .

Only a few specialized coatings will stick well to epoxy.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Since cherry normally has black pitch spots anyways, I would tint the epoxy black. Once the surface is sanded evenly, it should not be to noticeable with a top coat.