Need ideas for a handrail
My stairs have no handrail at all. I am tired of it & it needs to be addressed.
I can't afford to have a custom steel handrail installed.
So, does anyone have any ideas on installing one on the cheap?
I can see the studs in the wall from below, so it'd be easy to measure for hitting structure when installing it.

I need something heavy duty, because I'm a big guy & if I slipped, I'd like for it to be able to hold me.

Thanks for any help.
Is this going into a basement? My Dad solved this type of problem with a piece of steel pipe mounted to the wall at the stair top with a standoff (to allow room for a hand between the pipe and the wall. At the bottom he attached a 4 X 4 post drilled to accept the pipe. The 4X4 was lag bolted to the bottom stair stringer.

This setup has lasted since 1961 so it seems to be pretty solid.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Not to the basement. It's going upstairs to the bedrooms.
Main stairway, in other words.
Handrail design is very important for fall protection. Make one like one of these from a tubafor.

http://inspectapedia.com/Stairs/Handrail...bility.php
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
It could still work but you'd need to polish up the pipe and put a decorative post at the bottom.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I'd like to mount it to the wall if possible.
Lowes sells red oak handrails (round with a flat bottom) that attaches easily to metal brackets that they sell. You are a big guy so add one bracket to each stud to guarantee it will hold your weight. This is going to cost less than $100.00.

Cut and sand the oak. Apply the finish of your choice. Attach the brackets to the studs at the top and the bottom of the rail. Then add the intermediate ones as required.

Finishing the rail will take the greatest amount of time. I would guess you could do the installation in an hour or two. If you have to add a top or bottom column or have to add balusters it can take much longer.

My guess is that you don't require balusters or you would have had to have had them installed long ago. So the issue is only if you need a top and bottom column. Also if the stairway will allow it I would add the hand rails to both sides. It allows you to use your strong hand going up and going down. It allows you to carry something in either hand and still grip a hand rail.

Also I have given up carrying a loaded laundry basket down stairs. It seemed to dangerous. I now have a mesh fabric laundry bag which I just toss down the stairs and retrieve once I get to the bottom. It works perfectly in my house, but if you have something that can get knocked over at the bottom of the steps it will not.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

Start with this

use these to mount
K. L, McReynolds said:

Start with this

use these to mount

That was exactly what I was referencing just above. If you add up the cost it is going to be less than $100.00 total. Or $200.00 if he mounts a rail on both sides (which I think is a good idea).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
just make sure to return the ends to the wall and have at least 1-1/2" between the wall and the handrail. These are required for code.