Question for those who make (and finish) end grain cutting boards
For a charity silent auction this weekend I decided to make an end grain cutting board. It turned out pretty good and now I'm at the finishing stage. So far i have saturated it with mineral oil and have put on one coat of mineral oil/paraffin wax (4:1 ratio). I know I'm not going to get a shine like I would with a face grain board, but I'm not sure what to expect. Can I expect any sheen at all? I know it's hard to quantify but am curious about others' experiences. BTW the board is walnut/maple.

Thanks,
Sheri
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to and including their life. That is beyond honor.
No you won't have a sheen with mineral oil and paraffin on end grain.
The end grain will absorb a lot more oil than face grain will. I wouldn't expect any sheen. It would be a nice touch to include a neatly printed card with simple instructions on the proper cleaning and care of the board, for the benefit of the eventual user.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

If you use a harder wax you can get a sheen on it. Not a gloss shine, but definitely a sheen. Even paraffin might work if the grain is completely filled and you power buff it.

John
Thank you for the responses. I am planning on including a card explaining that it is an "end grain" board and how to maintain it. I even thought of including a small jar of the MO/wax with it.

I'm using paraffin and since it's not getting any shine, I may not have completely filled it with the oil. I'll see if i have any kind of buffing attachment for my drill or lathe. . . .
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to and including their life. That is beyond honor.
Oil won't shine. You need to fill the grain with wax. Keep soaking it with the mixture until wax builds up on the surface. Or just rub it with a block of paraffin. Scrape off the excess with a plastic scraper, and then buff it.

You can actually get most end grain to shine if you just sand it fine enough.

John