How hard would it be to learn to make belaying pins?
Besides woodworking some of my other passions are sailing and homebrewing. On my indoor porch which is decorated with nautical themes is my "Keezer" Keg Freezer. It is an altered chest freezer designed to hold my beer. When I built it I ended up using premade furniture legs to create tap handles.

One day I would like to update my keezer with belay pin tap handles. So the question is how hard would it be to learn to lathe at this level?
A carpenter's house is never done.
It is surprisingly easy to turn simple spindle forms. I self-taught myself without any lessons, videos, or CDs. But I realize now how stupid that was because I developed many bad habits.

The smart thing to do is watch some videos, even smarter, find a local turning club. Someone there will be delighted to help you get started.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
With basic wood skills, not exceptionally difficult. Depends on if you really want a lathe or not. They are spendy, and maybe 1/4 the cost of what you would end up investing if you go that way, unless you already have one. Cheaper alternative would be a friend who has one and would let you play, or some community centers and colleges have wood shops you can get into. Spindle turning is usually a first project. You can fix a lot with 80 grit.

robo hippy
My first time on a lathe was making belaying pins for a historical ship project I've been associated with. I received very little instruction and I was surprised how well I did.

You need a pattern or template to go by, so work on that first.
I did 20 for a guy here a year or so ago but do not remember the size or curves since he sent me a sample. If you are in no hurry and willing to send a sample I will do them for you also.

I still have 2 projects to do for others here now.

To answer your question if you can turn spindle work you can easily do this which is the most basic work and way to learn first.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I think the preferred wood for the original ones was lignum vitae. Close associate would be vera wood, and maybe teak or ipe. For a tap handle, you could use anything.

robo hippy
Wasn't it Joe Fisher who turned a lot of tap handles? Or am I wrong.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I believe that you are correct on the tap handles, it was Joe Fisher.

And a belaying pin would be dead easy to turn. Great beginner project.
I think Joe is too busy brewing these days. I don't know how to go back and view his tap handles.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Well looky here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qoncKkYUs