Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
This is what happens when you post a problem on web. You get good advice as well the dumb ones:

"smash it and send the cast iron parts to them"

"a race to the bottom"

"do a credit card chargeback"

Plus some of the Grizzly bashers whose names I recognize from years past surfaced to take the opportunity, and a lot of speculation from "experts" in the keyboard field, no doubt.

I do not like to play out a customer's issue on a forum but the main thing I can gather from order notes is that there is an alignment problem of the motor pulley with the cutter head pulley. OP - an engineer (American) who was there during factory assembly will be calling you soon to hopefully guide you.

Another note - the customer is a older gentleman (around 80) and we are working with him.

Yet another note - you think we came this far in business by not taking care of customers? We remain the largest woodworking machinery company in the USA, and have processes in place to avoid issues. However, sometimes things do fall through the cracks even though we have offices in China and Taiwan with qualified QC engineers that check machines as they are produced. We also send our American and German engineers to the factories for extended periods of time.

The machine is top heavy and they are packed in two crates to avoid tipping over.
I have not read the entire thread, OP..
But if it was me, I'd get two pallets, bolt each piece to the pallet and then call the pickup.
No need at all to spend an entire weekend overbuilding a case.

Yea, it sucks you are out $60 to get the joiner setup and are going to be out more money and time to send it back.

You might want to consider getting a jointer at a local place.
At least then if something goes wrong, you can bring it back without all this hassle. Like this is in no way an "I told you so", but mail ordering from any place is like Russian Roulette.. I have stopped ordering big heavy things online for this reason, even though it often costs a more.

Been burned too many times.
frigator said:

I have had the high-end European machines. I had a $10,000 Felder sliding table saw that I rarely used.. And that's not an easy machine to put together. It took a long time to dial that thing in. I do plan to get another minimax bandsaw.

I've put together three complete shops... Well the third isn't complete yet. It doesn't have a joiner. This is my third Jointer, I've had four planers, four bandsaws, three cyclones, two woodmasters, four tablesaws, and a lot of other stuff. I can put together woodworking machines. Sure you can rebuild the thing. Get all new motors and pulleys and eventually make it work. But you shouldn't have to do that with a brand-new machine

I don't know if you've ever dealt with grizzly. But I don't think they're going to send you all those things you want. The guys have the manual in front of them same as I do. You know I do this for fun. And it's not my idea of fun
To rebuild brand-new woodworking machines. This whole machine looks cheap. The pulleys are lightweight aluminum. The handles on the fence were plastic. The quality of this machine has gone downhill. It's been a major royal pain in the butt. But I'm not shedding tears to lose this machine. I'm looking at G0495x... The grizzly ultimate 8 inch joiner..

FWIW I would not hesitate to buy another Grizzly machine. I have several machines from them that are fantastic and real work horses. I also have other machines that if I could go back and do it again I would buy from them. I would guess your problem is just a fluke. When you produce the shear quantity of machinery they do something is going to slip through the cracks sooner or later. Changing suppliers which is necessary from time to time just makes it more likely. I could write a book about some issues I had with a new SawStop ICS saw. In the end just like all good companies SawStop made it right and we all lived happily ever after. One other thing. I may be wrong but I think parallelogram jointers come assembled. Probably because the bases are larger making them more stable but I could be wrong about that.
Papagrizzly said:

This is what happens when you post a problem on web. You get good advice as well the dumb ones:

"a race to the bottom"

Plus some of the Grizzly bashers whose names I recognize from years past surfaced to take the opportunity, and a lot of speculation from "experts" in the keyboard field, no doubt.

I do not like to play out a customer's issue on a forum but the main thing I can gather from order notes is that there is an alignment problem of the motor pulley with the cutter head pulley. OP - an engineer (American) who was there during factory assembly will be calling you soon to hopefully guide you.

Another note - the customer is a older gentleman (around 80) and we are working with him.

Yet another note - you think we came this far in business by not taking care of customers? We remain the largest woodworking machinery company in the USA, and have processes in place to avoid issues. However, sometimes things do fall through the cracks even though we have offices in China and Taiwan with qualified QC engineers that check machines as they are produced. We also send our American and German engineers to the factories for extended periods of time.

The machine is top heavy and they are packed in two crates to avoid tipping over.

Don't get mad at us because your CS failed the guy and he asked for advice.
PaulJohnstone said:

... but mail ordering from any place is like Russian Roulette.. I have stopped ordering big heavy things online for this reason, even though it often costs a more.

Been burned too many times.

It doesn't matter who or what vendor you deal with, buying a heavy machine online rather than from a local supplier is a risky business. Especially those that require assembly!

I would pay up to 20% more for a local source if it is a big machine, like a jointer, tablesaw (sawstop comes to mind) or combo machines. As a woodworker, I don't want to deal with machine problems; I have had enough woodworking headaches!

Simon
Papagrizzly said:

"a race to the bottom"

It is good that the boss man is interested in solving the OP's problem. Hopefully, the boss man's interest in solving the problem was not simply a result of this forum's discussion. Sometimes, the boss man is not aware of every single customer's frustrations. Even more so when the company is as large as Grizzly. I'm interested in seeing how the problem is resolved.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

[blockquote]Papagrizzly said:

"a race to the bottom"

It is good that the boss man is interested in solving the OP's problem.

[/blockquote]

Papa will get it done.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Being in retail like I am, you don't always get both sides of the story. I can attest to how difficult it is to always please all customers with 100% satisfaction results. I'm glad to see Grizzly has taken the time to address the issue, I'm sure they will get it squared away.
Well, Bye...
2005 DJ30 12" was shipped assembled from the evil Delta.

After loosing a CNC lathe deal this week due to the shipper not bolting it down and shipping it assembled in a light weight crate - BOLT it down and make sure it is strapped.

Skids/pallets are easily made with 2X4s. Id crate frame it in 2X4s and sheet them with OSB.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My guess is the wrong motor got sent with the machine......either way, it will be made right.

Grizzly took care of the shipping damage to my drill press without any problems.

Ed