HELP...Sticky finish
Hey folks, been a long time. Question...I am building a live edge table with my Son for his home. We applied 2 coats of Danish oil, the first coat did great, the second coat is still sticky after 2 days. I have never had this happen before. Same temp and conditions as always. Any ideas?
Thanks,
PoppieC
Never used it, my guess is is old or temp too cool, wipe off with MS or acetone/Naphtha, let dry, no tackiness, get a fresh product, witch I hate all of them put no exasperation date on them, and start over.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Was it real danish oil (with BLO) or a store bought product like Watco (which I think is only thin varnish). It may not matter, if the finish is relatively fresh it may be just a matter of wait and see. Some moving air like a slow blowing fan may help, though that might also put some dust nibs in the finish.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have never experienced this but I've read that it means that there was too much applied.  

I have further read that you should apply another coat and wipe it off well before it dries.  The additional coat acts as a solvent to allow some of the material to be removed.

This is not first hand information though.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think it must have been old and just did not set correctly. Had to re sand with all the grits. First few looked like pencil eraser on paper.
(11-21-2016, 10:39 PM)jdcorbett Wrote: I think it must have been old and just did not set correctly. Had to re sand with all the grits. First few looked like pencil eraser on paper.

Tip, next time if it happens again, if oil based, wipe all off with Naphtha or Acetone, let dry, then sand a bit.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk