How to decorate splits in a box top
I'm using a 1/2" cross cut tree slab roughly 8" in diameter as a box top.  It has some interesting splits, some as wide as 1/4" that I would like to incorporate in the design. They go all the way through. This is new territory for me. I invision some kind of material that could be used to fill the splits that perhaps could incorporate small flects of metal or something that would look like gold, silver, or peccious stones.  Any help would be appreciated. I have no idea what the wood is but it is a very dark brown.

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
One approach is to go to where they cut keys, and get some of the brass shavings.  You can mix these with epoxy to fill the cracks, then sand it down.  Try a test piece first.
I've used epoxy to fill defects in walnut slabs when making display plaques and table tops. Tape on the bottom and side and pour until slightly overfull.

You can add dye, sanding dust or even bits of metal or stone if you wish. Walnut sanding dust will turn the epoxy almost black.

Use a very thin, slow setting epoxy for best results. The first time I did this was actually with some of the 'pour on' bartop finish.

If you have access to turquoise scraps the break up, that would be pretty. I tried it once with some really low grade emerald and it was spectacular.
Be wary of spreading splits--the epoxy will fill them, but not keep them from growing. As Alan says, I would use butterfly inlays to keep the split from growing and THEN fill it with epoxy.
Semper fi,
Brad

(12-12-2016, 03:13 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Be wary of spreading splits--the epoxy will fill them, but not keep them from growing.  As Alan says, I would use butterfly inlays to keep the split from growing and THEN fill it with epoxy.

Too.  First the Nakashima treatment, then the filler.  OR, do both at once with a dovetailed Dutchman.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have played with drilling holes at the end of each split/check and gluing in a decorative/contrasting dowel and cutting/sanding flush. This seems to effectively stop the growth of the split (so far). I think butterfly dutchmen are far more attractive, but in smaller scale creations, simply not feasible...
Inlace (http://www.inlaceonline.com) is an interesting product for filling cracks or inlay with decorative acrylic. I agree you need to use butterflys or some other mechanical device to prevent the cracks from expanding.