New ICS Sawstop a little rant
in the manual in the assembly section it says to remove the plastic cover then remove the oil protectant 

Now I do not know if the surface is covered with oil then a plastic sheet that seals the top or not but if it were that would explain the ease which the surface scratches . 

It  would also explain why a piece of wood would cause the scratches you show 

Even bad CI is better than that
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

An aluminum top would not scratch that easily.
Lee
How could a flat lumber face create that kind of scratch? My SawStop's scratches are nowhere like those, after five years of constant use. I hope your dealer will find out what happened and SawStop should be shown your photos as they must have thought you were talking about cosmetic scratches.

Unless there is a film on the top that hasn't been removed, cast iron -- even those from China -- should not be weak like that!

Simon
Wow, serious scratching going on in the photos.

Maybe they need employ a new scratch-stop mechanism that senses scratches being formed on the table surface and retracts the entire table below the shop floor 
Laugh

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hope the OP finds a satisfactory remedy or partial refund.
Any update or resolution on this issue?  Just curious as I'm seriously considering the SS in the new year.
Of the many SS owner's on this site, this is the only post I've seen with this problem........I wouldn't let this sway any decision about which saw to buy. That said, I'm curious about how it happened, but I also suspect SS won't be doing anything about it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I just went to the barn to check the top on my 1946 Unisaw.
Other than being a dark grey color, it doesn't have any scratches nearly as bad as the SS.

Must be the cast iron is softer than the wood. Otherwise why would it scratch, if the wood wasn't contaminated with something harder than the top?

Can you intentionally scratch the top with a piece of wood?  If so, that would be wrong.

I hope SS does you right.

Lovin old arn even more.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
The softness of Asian iron is only the tip o the iceberg, so to speak.  Wait till you have electrical problems or strip out one of those screws.

I've spent lots of time working on woodworking machines.  Asian-made woodworking machines are known as Reese Cups:  peanut butter castings and chocolate fasteners. 

My first encounter with Asian iron was years back when I set some jointer knives with a steel based jig.  It scratched up the table!  I was embarrassed that I'd damaged someone's machine.  I went back to the shop and polished the steel screw ends that rode on the table.  Problem solved, but it was the first time I'd scratched a table and I'd used that jig on many jointers by then.

USA-made castings were at least class 30 and most were from Meehanite certified foundries.  Even the one Taiwan-made machine I have has a brass plate proudly stating that the castings came from a Meehanite certified foundry.

All cast iron isn't equal.  Some Wilton vises are advertised to have 60,000 PSI strength iron (Class 60), and advertised to be virtually indestructable.  A Harbor Freight vise of the same weight is much more prone to breaking under stress.

Not everyone needs the good stuff, nor is everyone who wants it willing to pay to get it.  Importers and makers are always looking to increase profits.  Putting substandard cast iron on something mostly intended for a recreational market is fair game.  A good workaround would to use only white pine and basswood.
(12-17-2016, 11:40 AM)JGrout Wrote: in the manual in the assembly section it says to remove the plastic cover then remove the oil protectant 

Now I do not know if the surface is covered with oil then a plastic sheet that seals the top or not but if it were that would explain the ease which the surface scratches . 

It  would also explain why a piece of wood would cause the scratches you show 

Even bad CI is better than that

That would be embarrassing.  
Uhoh
(01-01-2017, 07:45 AM)KC Wrote: That would be embarrassing.  
Uhoh

And would explain why there has been no further feedback from the OP

Big Grin
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy