Cremation cask
I’ve been asked (strangely enough) to build a cremation urn or cask for my wife’s ex husband. It’s sort of a rush job. My step daughter needs it very soon. Could I ask some of you who have built them to post pictures, to give me some ideas what to build?
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
Are there any standard sizes?

(05-08-2018, 07:33 AM)Eazyduzzit Wrote: I’ve been asked (strangely enough) to build a cremation urn or cask for my wife’s ex husband. It’s sort of a rush job. My step daughter needs it very soon. Could I ask some of you who have built them to post pictures, to give me some ideas what to build?

If not already done, google 'cremation urns' and then hit images - plenty of hits for both commercial and handmade urns & boxes - below are just three made of wood of the urn & box styles - if you're a wood turner, then a rounded urn would certainly be an option w/ many different choices to make (type of wood or woods, lids, segmentation, etc.) - also if you do own a lathe, might want to also post in the woodturning forum?

Just some suggestions - I've never made a cremation urn or box and not having a lather, I'd have to go w/ some kind of box - good luck.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I make them professionally. Keep it simple, basic box, have the base removable with screws (that's the standard) Don't worry about the inside, the cremains will be able in a bag (some people think they need to finish it or line it.....it's a waste of time). Sizing is based on a 1 pound to one cubic inch ratio. You're usually safe making it 225-250 cu inches.

Hope that helps.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

If you turn, a nice urn like Dave posted above is the way to go. If you aren't a turner, I've seen little boxes for urns before. You can apply a little plaque or cross to the top. With either you can go simple or really embellish with details. According to The Cremation Association of North America (CANA) the industry standard is 200 cubic inches, which equals about 6.8 pints.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(05-08-2018, 07:33 AM)Eazyduzzit Wrote: I’ve been asked (strangely enough) to build a cremation urn or cask for my wife’s ex husband. It’s sort of a rush job. My step daughter needs it very soon. Could I ask some of you who have built them to post pictures, to give me some ideas what to build?

Here is a simple plan for an urn.
Scott

Attached Files
.pdf   Plans for Urn.pdf (Size: 225.67 KB / Downloads: 397)

Mom was taken to rest in a 6X6X6 pine box.  Simple box joints, top rabbeted to fit and glued.  Bottom, ditto, after TSA got done with looking at it through the X-ray.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(05-08-2018, 09:55 AM)packerguy® Wrote: I make them professionally. Keep it simple, basic box, have the base removable with screws (that's the standard) Don't worry about the inside, the cremains will be able in a bag (some people think they need to finish it or line it.....it's a waste of time). Sizing is based on a 1 pound to one cubic inch ratio. You're usually safe making it 225-250 cu inches.

Hope that helps.

(05-08-2018, 10:20 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Mom was taken to rest in a 6X6X6 pine box.  Simple box joints, top rabbeted to fit and glued.  Bottom, ditto, after TSA got done with looking at it through the X-ray.

Piqued my curiosity, i.e. could be asked to make a cremation box (I've done a bunch of projects for the local Unitarian Fellowship, so plenty of members know my work) - the one shown below would fit my skills nicely, i.e. have done a lot of finger joints and gluing up small panels from various woods.  From the comments above, I would simply make a 4-sided open box and glue on a top - for the bottom, I'd have rabbets to accept the bottom which would be screwed in place - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Thanks for the quick replies. I've got the construction pretty much figured out I think.
Thanks again.
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
(05-08-2018, 12:04 PM)Eazyduzzit Wrote: I faced the same delimma when my mother died.  I bought a silverware chest, gutted it and had her name as well as the names of her 10 children, 39 grandchildren, and 23 great grandchildren laser etched in the lid.  Ready in 2 days.