Screw/Bolt Storage
(07-28-2018, 09:38 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: For a guy with a mahogany cabinet for all the saw blades, this is hardly acceptable.

Laugh

Who, me ?  My blade storage is all birch plywood, just sayin' .

My containers work very well, for me anyway. I have things grouped by size. Miscellaneous items are separated as best as I can, so far, so good.

Where I used to work, we had homemade plywood drawers. They worked great also. I don't have the space.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have been using one pound plastic coffee cans labeled with their contents. But honestly sometimes when I try to find a nut or screw that I need, I end up with a trip to the hardware store.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

I actually have buckets and drawers and bolt storage's of bolts and screws and nuts and washers and rivets, and a hundred other things that I would like to consolidate into one cabinet. Got jars all over the place and storage containers.

[Image: yqNf0nV.jpg]
[Image: 4p9Bi67.jpg?1]

[Image: 72sDYXu.jpg]
I use the HF bolt boxes as well. I like being able to see into the container without opening the lid. I had the tilt out drawer containers that my dad gave me from years back but the drawers were so yellowed you couldn’t see what was in them without opening all of them. That was a major pain.
I’ve been using Talenti Gelato containers.
Good size, open and close easily and the contents taste great while you’re emptying them for use.

Big Grin
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I tend to buy nuts, bolts and screws in bulk. I keep the boxes in some of the pull-outs inside my chop saw station, labels up so I can find things.

I too use divided boxes for sets of hardware as appropriate. And I too have some small wood boxes that I keep random extra stuff in.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Build one yourself!!

Diresta Storage Unit
I needed a portable solution. I used some bin racks from Sams club and the viewtainers sold at Lowes and some other plano boxes. I like the color coordinating aspect and the portability.
[Image: MVIMG_20180308_063404_zpsjivd9y6p.jpg]

[Image: MVIMG_20180308_062726_zpsfusptnkz.jpg]

[Image: MVIMG_20180305_175438_zpsuvlxqfbb.jpg]

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Here is what I do.  I use full and half height Plano boxes for all the esoteric stuff don't use often.  The frequent stuff is in tilt out bins.  You can see round and full sheet sandpaper storage as well.  All those are on panels attached with French cleats to make reorganization easier.  

Then, I have acro bins for big stuff, reloading supplies, whatever, but that's not on the walls yet in the new shop.

I'd like some surplus Vidmar cabinets, but they are hard to find.

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I love having extra screws, nails, nuts, and bolts on hand. I hate having to store them. I'm still using old tea tins (the kind that loose-leaf Twinings tea comes in). They're rectangular, so they fit together better than coffee cans. I have them all in a big drawer.

But my stock is pretty small. If I were trying to store a lot of different hardware, I would prefer the open bins, just like at regular hardware stores. I like to see at a glance what I have in stock. If I have everything in cans, I tend to forget what I actually have. Better to have everything within sight. And if I'm trying to keep certain sizes on hand, I know when it's time to replenish my stock.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop