How would you build this?
SWMBO has presented me with a challenging project that she wants me to build. I have no clue how I might approach it aside from bent laminations. But after that, I dunno how I would attach the shelves inside.

Any advice?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Brad

I am sure you will need a board with shims.  I forget but it is like bending chair backs around.  On the wood you will have to cut it thin and steam them and then wrap them around the thing I was trying to describe.

Now the shelves I am thinking if you cut each board half way they will slide right in together and glue.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Good grief I don't want my wife to see that or she'll want me to make one, too.  That does look like a good challenge.  I think Arlin's on the right approach, though I don't believe you would need to steam the laminations if they are thin enough.  You also are likely to need a segmented form in order to bend the pieces that far.  Three or four form sections, perhaps, that bolt down to a plywood base.  You would start by bending your laminations around the tightest, inner radii, then add the second form, bend around it, add the next and so on.  

John
Divorce might be a simpler option.
Big Grin

I think I would form the shape out of Kydex and then add a veneer.  

Kydex is available in various thicknesses and is easily formed with the addition of heat.  

Pistol holsters are made from this material in a toaster oven by hobbyists.  

Airline interiors are made from this material for the walls and seat backs.

The thickest is 0.080" thick, so it would be two layers with a core of some sort.  

Or go back to option one:  Divorce.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
When you open the picture in another tab and blow it up it appears to me that its molded from plastic. I see no grain, no joints, and a radius where the dividers come together. I'm sure it could be done with wood, but it'd be a lot of work for what it is. I remember years back reading that wood will bend the easiest and to the highest degree by using anhydrous ammonia instead of steam. Its dangerous to work with though, and sure wouldn't want to unless the reward was great.
I would use the bendable Plywood and then veneer the surfaces, Looks like a challenge for sure, but I know you are up to the task. I believe it comes in either grain direction that fits your need.

Bendable plywood, also known as Curve-Ply, Flexply, Wacky Wood and Wiggle wood, bending plywood,
(08-22-2018, 06:00 PM)jasfrank Wrote: When you open the picture in another tab and blow it up it appears to me that its molded from plastic. I see no grain, no joints, and a radius where the dividers come together. I'm sure it could be done with wood, but it'd be a lot of work for what it is. I remember years back reading that wood will bend the easiest and to the highest degree by using anhydrous ammonia instead of steam. Its dangerous to work with though, and sure wouldn't want to unless the reward was great.

Also expect a visit from the narcs as it is used for drug production.   Roly
(08-22-2018, 06:41 PM)Roly Wrote: Also expect a visit from the narcs as it is used for drug production.   Roly

Are you saying that corn is a drug? Anhydrous ammonia is used by the tons on any farm that raises corn. Around 200 lbs per acre is an average rate.
Put a back on it and fasten shelves to that.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.

No  
No  
No Probably start with a mega sized 3-d printer and wait a year and half for it to complete the construction....or see if they have one at Hobby Lobby. No, this one is not for me.