Water Damage cracked Lacquer Finish - Repair?
Kitchen table, solid maple, 35+ year old Ethan Allen, back when they made pretty solid stuff.  I'm assuming a nitro lacquer finish.  Wife left leaking gallon jug of water on table, I have streaks and areas of lifted finish (larger cracks that chipped) in maybe 15% of the top.  Table is about 6 feet long, 38" wide.  I know I could strip the entire top and refinish, but is it possible to do a "french polish-type" of repair to the lacquer using a rag pad and Lacquer Thinner?  The luthiers talk about this technique but on a much, much smaller scale.

Any observations or advice is appreciated.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'd bet it's not nitro lacquer. It's not as durable as it should be for a table top. But you can test, find a hidden spot and try some lacquer thinner on a cloth to rub the finish...if it dissolves you may be able to fix the top.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-16-2023, 05:41 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'd bet it's not nitro lacquer. It's not as durable as it should be for a table top. But you can test, find a hidden spot and try some lacquer thinner on a cloth to rub the finish...if it dissolves you may be able to fix the top.

thanks, and yes, I have to check with various solvlents to determine exactly what it might be.  I have a feeling that I'm going to have to strip it all down.
I worked in a shop making the tea carts for Ethan Allen back in the early 80's. We used nitrocellulose lacquer. The damage you described also leads me to believe that's what it is, so you may be in luck. I've restored these finishes by simply brushing on lacquer thinner, letting it set for a minute, then brushing again with the wet (but not dripping) brush. First I make sure the surface is totally clean and free of any wax, then I use a new, soft, natural bristle brush of appropriate width. And of course, like Fred suggested, always test first.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(07-25-2023, 10:43 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I worked in a shop making the tea carts for Ethan Allen back in the early 80's. We used nitrocellulose lacquer. The damage you described also leads me to believe that's what it is, so you may be in luck. I've restored these finishes by simply brushing on lacquer thinner, letting it set for a minute, then brushing again with the wet (but not dripping) brush. First I make sure the surface is totally clean and free of any wax, then I use a new, soft, natural bristle brush of appropriate width. And of course, like Fred suggested, always test first.

Thanks for this.  I'll give it a try.
(07-15-2023, 12:55 PM)Admiral Wrote: Kitchen table, solid maple, 35+ year old Ethan Allen, back when they made pretty solid stuff.  I'm assuming a nitro lacquer finish.  Wife left leaking gallon jug of water on table, I have streaks and areas of lifted finish (larger cracks that chipped) in maybe 15% of the top.  Table is about 6 feet long, 38" wide.  I know I could strip the entire top and refinish, but is it possible to do a "french polish-type" of repair to the lacquer using a rag pad and Lacquer Thinner?  The luthiers talk about this technique but on a much, much smaller scale.

Any observations or advice is appreciated.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, so I'll wait and see what works for you. I have similar issue with Ethan Allen dining table top that the wife let acetone (nail polish remover) sit on and messed up a couple areas. Please let us know how this goes!
" The democracy will cease to exist when it becomes possible to take from those who work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson