Using a dovetail saw
Arlin,

Pedder wants to see how your body would be positioned relative to what you are cutting.

Most people seem to prefer cutting the dovetails or fingers into the top of a board held vertically.

So, how will the boards be held when you are cutting dovetails? Saying that you are working on a wooden top on a metal bench has me wondering about what vises or clamps you are/will_be using.

Can you get your wife to take a picture of you at the bench with a board positioned for dovetailing?

thanks,
Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-12-2023, 04:20 PM)iclark Wrote: Arlin,

Pedder wants to see how your body would be positioned relative to what you are cutting.

Most people seem to prefer cutting the dovetails or fingers into the top of a board held vertically.

So, how will the boards be held when you are cutting dovetails? Saying that you are working on a wooden top on a metal bench has me wondering about what vises or clamps you are/will_be using.

Can you get your wife to take a picture of you at the bench with a board positioned for dovetailing?

thanks,
Ivan

Thanks  I knew that and waiting for my wife to come over to take a picture of me next to the bench.

I do not know much of how thick dovetails should be but thinking 1/2 to 3/4".  I am thinking of making a wooden plate so when I do the cutting the saw will only cut so far and not any more then that.  What I have done in the past is use a scroll saw to cut the part out I do not want and use a chisel to do the rest.   However they look awful either I cut to far or trim to much or take the wrong part out.  To correct the one I now put an X on the part to cut and NOT go to the line but use a chisel for that.  For each error I make I try to figure out a way to correct it all except for the cutting to far part hence my wooden plate or thinking of just having a saw that is 3/4" to the rib so it will not go any farther then that.

Also that is why I ask for ideas to see how others solve their problems. 

One other thing I have done is press to hard on the saw and it goes sideways on the cut and not on the line.  I am thinking mostly do to the sharpness of the blade not cutting and I need to learn how to sharpen them instead of collecting a saws.  
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-12-2023, 06:02 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I need to learn how to sharpen them instead of collecting a saws.  
Laugh
Laugh

It is probably easier than you think to sharpen a saw poorly, but adequately.  It will still cut better than a dull saw.  That is about as far as I have gotten. Learning to sharpen well and quickly is a longer term project, but your saws will be usable while you learn.  You can do it.
It's all wood.
Arlin,

I think a low hanged saw with a 0.020" blade, 16 tpi smooth rip cut  (5° rake or even more) and a full heavy spine will help you.

Something like this: [Image: IMG_20221115_195333.jpg]

No downward pressure needed, so you can concentrate on the line. but please send the picture and take the numbers of your hand as shown here:

https://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.c...-page.html

And then I will need a little time.

Cheers
Pedder
Wow!, that is a very striking saw.  What type of wood is used in the handle?
(10-13-2023, 09:14 AM)stav Wrote: Wow!, that is a very striking saw.  What type of wood is used in the handle?

It looks like spalted beach but if I remember right they had a masseur birch at one time too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Email sent out to you

(10-13-2023, 09:14 AM)stav Wrote: Wow!, that is a very striking saw.  What type of wood is used in the handle?

Thanks, that is karelian masur birch.

Best regards
Pedder
(10-14-2023, 04:41 AM)Pedder Wrote: Thanks, that is karelian masur birch.

Best regards
Pedder

That has always been my favorite wood and would have loved turning it.  However, after I found out how much it cost and how hard it is to get I gave up trying to get it and who would pay for it if they bought the item.

You're one up on me, I have never even heard of that variety before.  That is a fabulous saw.