bed rail hardware
Did a search, bud didn't find hits.  What do folks prefer for bed rail hardware - hooking the rails to the head and foot?

I think I like the look of these because it seems like the way they taper, they will pull everything tighter with weight:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/har...em=00S0222

The Lee Valley hardware has rounded edges while Rockler and Woodcraft have square corners meaning it is necessary to chisel out the corners...not a huge deal, but all else equal, I'd rather not.

Or should I be looking at a different style?
When I built my kingsize bed twelve years ago, I considered the hardware you re looking at, but went with the bed hooks and bedlocks, also from LV.  A little more work for installation, but they have remained rock solid even after several breakdowns and reassemblies.
Bob
(11-14-2023, 11:41 PM)JosephP Wrote: Did a search, bud didn't find hits.  What do folks prefer for bed rail hardware - hooking the rails to the head and foot?

I think I like the look of these because it seems like the way they taper, they will pull everything tighter with weight:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/har...em=00S0222

The Lee Valley hardware has rounded edges while Rockler and Woodcraft have square corners meaning it is necessary to chisel out the corners...not a huge deal, but all else equal, I'd rather not.

Or should I be looking at a different style?

I used those on a few beds 20 years ago and they rock solid.  Very impressed.  Used some four or five years ago and just wasn't able to get the 'fit' quite right.  The bed won't fall down, but it's definitely not as tight.
Built a king size bed three years ago, used these: Antrader Wood Bed Rail Connecting Fittings, 5 Inch Zinc Round Bed Hook, Set of 4 from Amazoo. Similar if not identical to the Lee Valley you linked. Fit perfectly in a 3/4" mortise, so far zero issues. Would use again but hopefully don't have to build another bed
Wink

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
follow-up question:

Planning to make a headboard with design something similar to pic below.

Challenge 1 is working with wood movement.

Challenge 2 is getting it to our niece who I am making it for in a minivan or SUV (would rather not drive the truck 4 hours just to deliver).

I think I have a single solution for both of these and would like some thoughts on this...  I am thinking I'll keep the legs off of the headboard for delivery.  My initial thought was to attach with glue and screws on site.  But what if I used these brackets to attach the headboard to the legs?  (2 on each side..or 3?)

https://www.amazon.com/Akamino-Non-Morti...08KXRXK1S/

[Image: 81OPzqyPGuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]

Instead of more steel hardware, how about a sliding dovetail? I'm picturing a slot in the leg around 1-1/4" wide, with the mating piece screwed to the headboard allowing for some cross-grain movement. Just a thought. Maybe the slot on the headboard, so the movement isn't an issue.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I like that! Does it really matter if the slot part of the dove tail is in the leg or headboard?
Making enough progress on the bed that I need to start finalizing hardware plans.  I'm rethinking mortised hardware for a couple of reasons...thinking brackets more like this:  click for link on Amazon or click here for Rockler (different, but same idea)

So my question for the crowd today is about mounting locations.

The Rockler version shows the flat plate with "male" part on the rail.

The Amazon shows the angled bracket with the receiving hooks on the rail.

I think I like the Rockler way better because it would pull the rail into the headboard/footboard with more weight on top.  I envision mounting them so they barely reach the bottom when push down hard.

The other advantage of putting them the "Rockler way" is that the rails, which are already a little awkward to handle being the longest part, will not have angled projections trying to scratch everything they see.  Not that the other pieces can't cause scratches too...just seems like stacking for transport would be easier.

Rockler pic:

Amazon pic:

And here is a turned picture of the Amazon version to reflect how I think I want to use them:

Thoughts?  thanks!
I agree with you..."Rockler way" all the way.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Have you considered bed bolts:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/highp...CZf1WwG14Q
They are a bit different but work very well; especially if used in conjunction with a non-glued mortise and tenon.
Based on your concerns above, there are a couple of advantages; First, they are totally removed for transport so there are no edges to scratch anything. Second, they pull the joint together by simply tightening the bolt.
A disadvantage is the the footboard bolt heads will be exposed. But, that can be delt with by using decorative covers:
https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/s...-bed-bolts