Please critique my bed design
With a mattress top at 27" you may be thrilled to have more projects, new bedside tables; or, stack a lot of books. Also, hopefully, you are plenty young, or the users are. Finally, tall masses like that have a very "imposing" presence in a room. Beware the typical 11 x 11 space. [I know, that's bigger than most.] No furniture store will have normal bedroom walls.

The pretty picture belongs in another world. I've never considered sharp and crisp corners-edges desirable next to my body. I also hang toes, which brings up other issues, tucking sheets. We removed footboards years ago, and not for toes.

Da**. I better stop here! 
Crazy . . . . . Just know it will look very nice when you set it up.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Yes to the suggestion of bed bolts. Then add the brass bolt hole covers. Both solid and beautiful.
Also the idea of two twin mattresses to function as a king mattress. Much easier to handle. Not uncomfortable to sleep in.