Does anyone know about Zinnser CLEAR synthetic BIN primer
I was looking at Zinsser's site for other information and saw the apparently new product Clear BIN Advanced Primer with synthetic shellac. I've never heard of it, but it makes sense they'd be working on synthetic shellac.

It's interesting if it really is more clear than regular shellac that is still blonde or superblonde. I'd be interested to know if it's good for woodworking. Like if it can replace their sealcoat product, or if it's only good for projects that will be painted.

The new clear BIN is $37-50 gallon at places like Walmart, Home Depot. That's even cheaper than white pigmented BIN.
The last time I bought Zinsser seal coat it was about $25 a quart.
(12-27-2023, 12:38 AM)PossumDog Wrote: I was looking at Zinsser's site for other information and saw the apparently new product Clear BIN Advanced Primer with synthetic shellac. I've never heard of it, but it makes sense they'd be working on synthetic shellac.

It's interesting if it really is more clear than regular shellac that is still blonde or superblonde. I'd be interested to know if it's good for woodworking. Like if it can replace their sealcoat product, or if it's only good for projects that will be painted.

The new clear BIN is $37-50 gallon at places like Walmart, Home Depot. That's even cheaper than white pigmented BIN.
The last time I bought Zinsser seal coat it was about $25 a quart.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware of it until your post.  The TDS says it's a styrene copolymer.  Sounds like clever marketing to call that a synthetic shellac, but if it works then that's all that matters.  

What I really liked about Sealcoat is that it greatly reduces grain raising on most woods.  Every WB sealer I've tried falls far short in that regard.  I'd be interested to hear how this stuff works in that regard.  

John
I'm not sure exactly what shellac is chemically but I doubt it's styrene copolymer.

I might try it when I run out of white BIN or sealcoat, but that might take a long time. 

I imagine to not raise the grain it would have to be alcohol based. I wonder if the new stuff will need alcohol or they can get away with a cheaper solvent.
I wasn't aware of the stuff either. I'll be looking for it to give a test drive but so far almost everything I've seen that's finish-related and labeled "synthetic" has been a complete disappointment.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-28-2023, 10:57 PM)PossumDog Wrote: I'm not sure exactly what shellac is chemically but I doubt it's styrene copolymer.

I might try it when I run out of white BIN or sealcoat, but that might take a long time. 

I imagine to not raise the grain it would have to be alcohol based. I wonder if the new stuff will need alcohol or they can get away with a cheaper solvent.

It's water based.  

John