Cute router plane from Aliexpress
I have been hunting for router planes for a long time, but as you may know the price of metal ones are skyrocketing, the wooden ones are not cheap either and usually lack proper setting mechanism. Some pure metal planes with beech like handles started to circulate not very long ago on eBay, but they look very odd and have very high price as well. However, before Christmas Aliexpress dropped an offer in my mailbox, with this cuteness at a bargain price of 31 USD for it. For that price, I could not let it go:

It reminded me of the little Veritas ones, so it caught my attention right away. I worried about the build, though. But after it arrived, I can say it is a surprise. 

To understand why, let me describe what I had so far: very long ago I purchased a Record No. 71 with 2 cutters. It was one of my biggest tool disappointments. If you insert the cutter bits and tighten everything, the sole and cutting edge of the bit is not parallel with the sole. Either the bit is not true, or the machined square notch to receive the bit is not proper. Or both. Moreover it has an adjustable piece at the front that acts as a sole under the arch. That is not level with the sole either. Maybe the hole of the sole bit is not in right angle, or the sole bit is not true. So the whole stuff is resting on my shelf for 13 years waiting to be remachined. The only reason I did not sell it because it was only 30 USD back then and now it is too expensive.

But this little gem from Aliexpress: it is nice, feels good to the touch, nicely machined and painted, and the bit is flush. The adjuster mechanism has some kind of looseness when not fastened, I guess that thing is much tighter in a Veritas plane or a Lie Nielsen. But apart from that it is a very nice tool. It is cold now here, so still did not try it, but I tried it on a piece of wood held in my hand in the room, and it did cut even that way, too. The only weak point may be the fastener, that is a  screw and its thread hole, that may get dull after a while, but who cares I take a slightly bigger screw and recut the hole. If it ever happens.

If it works long term the Record no 71 will be on auction that is sure.

It is still available at a bit higher price, but not that bad at all even for that money:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005854673387.html

You can find advanced versions as well, but those are expensive, may not make sense at that price range.
They just offered me this router plane for $28.20. They have other router planes also, and all at insanely low prices! It's all I can do not to just start ordering everything!
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
Call me paranoid, but I'll pass on putting my credit card number in Alibaba systems - which are held in China. Yeah, it may be ok, but I don't trust their security and privacy systems. Or China, for that matter . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-13-2024, 02:22 AM)Bencuri Wrote: It is still available at a bit higher price, but not that bad at all even for that money:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005854673387.html

You can find advanced versions as well, but those are expensive, may not make sense at that price range.

Interesting.  I just went to the link.  I then typed in the item name in their search function.  Had several, all looked the same with same specs
but different prices.  Couldn't resist. I pulled the trigger on the $14.91 price.  Hopefully I get the same one you got.
I've used Ali a few times in the past.  I checked again now and they have some priced at 17 bucks. I've been wanting a router plane for a while
but not enough to pay Veritas prices.

Woodworking Bottom Cleaning Planer
(01-28-2024, 11:29 AM)Admiral Wrote: Call me paranoid, but I'll pass on putting my credit card number in Alibaba systems - which are held in China.  Yeah, it may be ok, but I don't trust their security and privacy systems.  Or China, for that matter . . .

Yes! Especially, after Jack Ma, owner was thrown into prison for being too good; and, I assume, fair. The government runs Ali-ho-hoo now.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Just arrived.  Nice tool for $14.91. 

[Image: 53515782366_0414fcebe6.jpg]
(01-28-2024, 11:29 AM)Admiral Wrote: Call me paranoid, but I'll pass on putting my credit card number in Alibaba systems - which are held in China.  Yeah, it may be ok, but I don't trust their security and privacy systems.  Or China, for that matter . . .

I guess I'm paranoid too and I try my best not to send money to China. Difficult to do these days but I try!
Frank
Locking mechanism?

I've bought a couple things from AliExpress, but never thought about that/

Seriously, how am I not gonna buy one of these for $1? OK, I'll have to buy 11 to get free shipping but still, I gotta try one now.
(02-08-2024, 11:04 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Locking mechanism?

I've bought a couple things from AliExpress, but never thought about that/

Yep, locking lever in the back. 

[Image: 53517589580_1027b1a969.jpg]