HF 34706 Lathe died
    Well, I finally got a "fix" kludged up! 
Big Grin No amount of force would allow removal of that inner shaft pulley half, so I just mounted a 4" standard one on the exposed shaft.  Had to fashion a circular shim between the 24 mm shaft and the 1" pulley opening.  On the motor shaft, had to ream out the 5/8" pulley (which I had) to fit on the 16 mm shaft.  Terrible looking and one speed of course, but it works!  I calculate a speed of 850-900 rpm, which should be fine for any minimal turning I might do.  Total investment (not including time spent) - $13.00 for the new pulley.
Congratulations.  "Southern engineering" wins again.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
If you do choose to do something 'better' you have the prototype. As I said above, I have an Asian Delta drill press. It had the common 5 speed stepped pulley setup. My biggest complaint was not being able to run slow enough. I bought a new 3 phase 1/2 h.p. motor and TECO Westinghouse VFD as a pair for I think around $200. If I were comfortable programming VFDs I could have looked for used 3 phase motors and gotten a VFD off Ebay. At the time I had more $$ than confidence but it wasn't hard.