Finish for Garden Bench (Oak)
I'm rebuilding a garden bench, using oak slats.  My plan is to stain the slats to a darker brown, maybe chestnut (don't want them to be too red, so not mahogany).

My question is, what finish should I use?  Spar varnish, some kind of polyurethane?  This will be well exposed to good, mid-Atlantic sun and rain during the days, probably some freezing rain & snow during the winter (not sure I'll want to give up garage space to bring it in during the winters).  What will hold up well, and what maintenance will be needed?

Probably a marine grade spar varnish. It will likely require annual or bi-annual maintenance coats. Red oak will require more maintenance than if it is white oak.
One-Time.  Great product.  Doesn't mold, flake, peel, etc.  Lasts several years before it fades and then all that's needed to refresh it is to clean it and apply a new coat.  Comes in several colors so you don't need to stain first.  

John
John, How does it spray?
Hadn't considered a deck stain. That's a good idea, thanks!

@Willyou, yes, I'm pretty sure I've got red oak, not white.
(01-22-2024, 07:12 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: John, How does it spray?

Never sprayed it.  It's expensive, so I wouldn't want to lose any to overspray, and you need to brush it into the grain, too.  

But to answer your question, my guess is it will spray fine if you have an airless rig.  You can't thin this stuff.  

John
(01-22-2024, 07:30 AM)grwold Wrote: Hadn't considered a deck stain.  That's a good idea, thanks!

@Willyou, yes, I'm pretty sure I've got red oak, not white.

That is not a recipe for long term durability.  I know we often use what we have, but you are asking a lot of any finish to make up for inherently poor outdoor performance of the wood you are putting it on.  

John