Delta bandsaw
I have a 20 yr old Delta 14" bandsaw. The threaded rod used to raise the upper wheel and tighten the blade has stripped. Delta refers me to ereplacementparts.com who says the part is obsolete and unavailable. Does anybody know where I might get this part?
Thanks,
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
(01-24-2024, 02:42 PM)plharrison Wrote: I have a 20 yr old Delta 14" bandsaw. The threaded rod used to raise the upper wheel and tighten the blade has stripped. Delta refers me to ereplacementparts.com who says the part is obsolete and unavailable. Does anybody know where I might get this part?
Thanks,
Paul

I've never had success getting an OEM Delta part anywhere if the ereplacementparts site says it has been discontinued.  You might try eBay for one.

However, there is another way to solve the problem.  Last year I put a new tension spring in my 14" Delta.  It's the Iturra Designs spring available from Highland Woodworking.  When I did that I also opted to add a new bandsaw tension crank, and it came with a new threaded rod that is much heavier duty.  Here's a link:  Bandsaw Tension Crank

If it was me, I'd replace the spring and the crank.  Yeah, it's about $100, all totaled, but my bandsaw will tension properly now.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
When the one on mine stripped, I replaced it with a standard 3/8" rod and hex nut.  I have an Iturra spring in mine, too, which is a major step up over the factory spring, but don't expect to be able to put much tension on a 1/2" blade.  Set at or just above the 1/2" mark gives about 10 - 12 ksi.  Going higher causes the frame to deflect so much that the upper blade guides move out of alignment.  On the 1/4" blades I usually have on the saw you can get 20 ksi and it cuts great at that tension.  

I'm sure my replacement nut/rod would strip out, too, probably pretty quickly, so I built a quick tension release mechanism for it.  Now I only need to adjust the rod to change blades.  If you don't want to go to that effort, just leave the saw under tension all the time.  I do, even though I have the quick release mechanism, and both the machine and blade are perfectly happy.  

John
(01-24-2024, 03:57 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you don't want to go to that effort, just leave the saw under tension all the time.  I do, even though I have the quick release mechanism, and both the machine and blade are perfectly happy.  

oh yeh,  what about your spring 
Confused

Stop being ultra lazy and release the tension.
(01-24-2024, 03:06 PM)R Clark Wrote: I've never had success getting an OEM Delta part anywhere if the ereplacementparts site says it has been discontinued.  You might try eBay for one.

However, there is another way to solve the problem.  Last year I put a new tension spring in my 14" Delta.  It's the Iturra Designs spring available from Highland Woodworking.  When I did that I also opted to add a new bandsaw tension crank, and it came with a new threaded rod that is much heavier duty.  Here's a link:  Bandsaw Tension Crank

If it was me, I'd replace the spring and the crank.  Yeah, it's about $100, all totaled, but my bandsaw will tension properly now.
Cheaper alternative on Amazon ($29)- search Big Horn 14330 Band Saw Tension Crank

Full disclosure, I stripped out one of these too so I'd give the screw linked above a hard look. I believe my issue was operator error trying to crank down too much tension, but I can confirm the one on Amazon fits a 14" Delta bandsaw. I also ran an Iturra spring on that bandsaw FWIW.
I have an Iturra spring on mine, maybe going on two decades, though in the last ten years, I don't reduce the tension. I vaguely recall reading years ago of some cranking down the tension and the screw rod piercing the casting.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-24-2024, 02:42 PM)plharrison Wrote: I have a 20 yr old Delta 14" bandsaw. The threaded rod used to raise the upper wheel and tighten the blade has stripped. Delta refers me to ereplacementparts.com who says the part is obsolete and unavailable. Does anybody know where I might get this part?
Thanks,
Paul

You can also call Louis Iturra at 1 904 642 2802. He will answer all your questions and will possibly have the parts you need. I have ordered several items from him.
Larry
(02-07-2024, 07:56 AM)lkomroff Wrote: You can also call Louis Iturra at 1 904 642 2802. He will answer all your questions and will possibly have the parts you need. I have ordered several items from him.

Iturra is superb! I'm surprised his name does not come up very often as a resource.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
If the spring is not overloaded it will not fatigue within our lifetime. Overhead valve springs, for example, are always under load. I'm more concerned about leaving a flat spot on the tires but, after however many years it's been, that has not happened.

John
Iturra has good products and knows his stuff. Refusing to have an internet order system makes doing business with him pretty difficult. He could grow his business several times over if he did.

John