Jet Chip Collector
So Woodcraft is selling these for $30. It was listed on their website a week or so ago but now I can't find it online. The Indianapolis Woodcraft had maybe 20 left if anyone is local (or your local store may have inventory). I bought one today on a whim since it was '$150 savings'. My understanding is this is more or less a dust deputy type gizmo, is that correct? I was planning on making some sort of shop vac/ dust deputy set-up. But, I also have a Jet canister DC, with the vortex cone add-on. Anybody think I should go with in-line with my big dust collector, or will it not make that much of a difference? My biggest hesitation to add it to my jet is I'll have to re-think/ re-arrange all my major stationary tools to fit it in. I'd do it if it makes a huge difference but I can't see it improving my current set-up enough to make it worthwhile. I also have ideas of sometime converting my lower bag to a trash can/ bin, which I think is the main benefit to using something like this Jet product.

I vaguely remember these, and I believe you are correct about it being a seperator gizmo. But if they've discounted it that much I'm wondering just how well it works (maybe it was just seriously overpriced).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This unit with the bottom collector canister was a great deal on Black Friday. 

I suspect they are either closing out or have Ver 2 coming out soon as the price point is liquidation level.  But I'm just guessing.  

The black friday deal sold out in 2 days. Haven't checked the new deal. 

I bought it but haven't used yet. My reading up on it is that it clogs if you generate large chips (planer) and works well with dust (turning).

I do not think this would be an advance to your delta with Vortex, and probably too big (4" ports) for a shop vac. 

Looking forward to more comments about use.

Update: just looked at Woodcraft website. Woodcraft not even listing in on-line site. Local stores may still have inventory. Amazon still has some at full price.
(02-02-2024, 07:43 AM)taxman Wrote: This unit with the bottom collector canister was a great deal on Black Friday. 

I suspect they are either closing out or have Ver 2 coming out soon as the price point is liquidation level.  But I'm just guessing.  

The black friday deal sold out in 2 days. Haven't checked the new deal. 

I bought it but haven't used yet. My reading up on it is that it clogs if you generate large chips (planer) and works well with dust (turning).

I do not think this would be an advance to your delta with Vortex, and probably too big (4" ports) for a shop vac. 

Looking forward to more comments about use.

Update: just looked at Woodcraft website. Woodcraft not even listing in on-line site. Local stores may still have inventory. Amazon still has some at full price.

Yeah, I probably should have just gotten a Dust Deputy and been done with it. Based on the amount of material (plastic) it would take to make one of these $30 is about what they should cost. Maybe I'll keep it in case I ever get around to buying a lathe.
(02-02-2024, 09:57 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: Yeah, I probably should have just gotten a Dust Deputy and been done with it. Based on the amount of material (plastic) it would take to make one of these $30 is about what they should cost. Maybe I'll keep it in case I ever get around to buying a lathe.

At 30 i would have given one a shot, no way I am going to spend close to 200 on one, but I would waste 30 just to see if it worked.
(02-02-2024, 01:49 PM)JDuke Wrote: At 30 i would have given one a shot, no way I am going to spend close to 200 on one, but I would waste 30 just to see if it worked.

That's my thinking exactly. I'll get my $30 worth messing around with it one way or the other. The guy at local WC said people have been buying multiples and putting them up for re-sale on the selling sites. IMO, they're worth at most whatever a dust deputy is going for. They're certainly not flying off the shelves, even at $30.
(02-02-2024, 09:57 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: Yeah, I probably should have just gotten a Dust Deputy and been done with it. Based on the amount of material (plastic) it would take to make one of these $30 is about what they should cost. Maybe I'll keep it in case I ever get around to buying a lathe.

You clearly haven’t been shopping for polycarbonate/ lexan lately 
No

Or the solvents needed to weld it.  

And I’m also thinking you value your time at $0/hr. 
Confused
(02-04-2024, 11:17 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: You clearly haven’t been shopping for polycarbonate/ lexan lately 
No
Confused

If they come from the ccp, it’s about right.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

A lot of the price is because it says JET
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-04-2024, 11:17 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: You clearly haven’t been shopping for polycarbonate/ lexan lately 
No

Confused

OK, you got me. I have not been purchasing poly/ lexan/ solvents in bulk or researched the manufacturing costs to bring a product like this to market. Purely academic, but it appears to me this is Jet's attempt at competing with Oneida's super dust deputy, MSRP $180 on both. For whatever reason, WC is clearance-ing out these units at $30/ each, which is interesting to me. I wonder who is taking the hit on the current run, Jet or WC? My off the cuff $30 comment aside, it appears that the market in general does not see $180 value in these units. They've been out a while and I haven't seen much info on them, as opposed to the shop vac sized dust deputy that has a gazillion (not literally) YouTube videos, etc.