Does anyone know if epoxy can be used for
drinking cups?

I have used casting epoxy for vases to waterproof them but nothing says NO about coating inside of a cup with it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-08-2024, 12:09 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: drinking cups?

I have used casting epoxy for vases to waterproof them but nothing says NO about coating inside of a cup with it.

Ask the manufacture of the epoxy if it is approved for food contact.    I know there are epoxies approved for water tanks but unless the particular epoxy was tested and approved you won't see a yes.  Epoxies come in too many flavors to say all epoxy is ok.   Roly
I did a lot of checking the internet and all of it says once cured it is good to go but total cure is up to a month.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(02-10-2024, 12:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I did a lot of checking the internet and all of it says once cured it is good to go but total cure is up to a month.

The manufacturer for the specific epoxy that you are considering should have a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) (what we used to call a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)).

The SDS is primarily concerned with safety issues for the person handling the raw materials and the as-mixed epoxy, but some mention the as-cured material.

Some of the modern epoxies are food safe when fully-cured (however long that takes).

The epoxies that I helped my father with doing fiberglassing for boats were some that I would never want to trust to drink out of. That was 60ish years ago and there were materials in the catalyst that were definitely not people-friendly.

It is sorta like needing to understand what wood is safe to make tea out of: sassafras - good, hemlock - bad.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-12-2024, 06:57 PM)iclark Wrote: The manufacturer for the specific epoxy that you are considering should have a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) (what we used to call a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)).

The SDS is primarily concerned with safety issues for the person handling the raw materials and the as-mixed epoxy, but some mention the as-cured material.

Some of the modern epoxies are food safe when fully-cured (however long that takes).

The epoxies that I helped my father with doing fiberglassing for boats were some that I would never want to trust to drink out of. That was 60ish years ago and there were materials in the catalyst that were definitely not people-friendly.

It is sorta like needing to understand what wood is safe to make tea out of: sassafras - good, hemlock - bad.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh