The Depths to which Pop Woodworking has Sunk
That first hand plane?  Stanley did sell it...and Rex Krueger even tried very hard to make it work like a hand plane.....even Menard's stopped selling them.

I do have the WR No. 62.....Not that thrilled with it...

However...how about a review of this "Bench Plane" instead...

Stanley No. 3, Type 11, smooth sole....

BTW: as near as I can tell..that stick is Maple...at least as far as the grain looks....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
With regards to the first plane, maybe a dozen, or more years ago, there was a lot of chatter on forums about the HF plane. On a lark, I bought one to see if it could be made to work. I was successful in getting shavings of .001" from it. How?

First, in that time frame, a guy named Jim Reed was active here and made blades for planes, including this one. I bought one for it and it helped!

Second, I had one of my machinists put the plane body on a surface grinder to true up the sole and square the sides.

Third, I bedded the blade to the frog with a bit of epoxy, separated by cardboard.

Finally, I tossed the adjustment rods, replacing with better rods and turning nuts. I also prettied it up with refinished tote & knob and painted the body.

Total cost: cost of the plane, of around $30.00. Other costs of around $80.00, plus my time. This was an experiment and I doubt if fee here have the tools I do, at my manufacturing plant. In any case, yes the plane can be made to work, but a turd can also be made to taste good, with enough ketchup.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Maybe WATCH Rex as he tries to work on the Stanley version?   Might be very interesting...
(02-13-2024, 11:21 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Maybe WATCH Rex as he tries to work on the Stanley version?   Might be very interesting...

You're not far from my plant, Bandit. Pick up Rex Kreuger on your way, if you want to visit! Check my website at the bottom of my post-this is what I started when I hung up my tool belt (1989).

In any case, what I did with the HF plane, was to determine how much time/$$$ would be required to make a sow's ear into a silk purse. It can be done commercially, but who would pay for it? I would guess the HF plane, with what I did to it, would have to sell wholesale, at around $150.00. Retail would be anyone's guess, and the market for the plane is very thin, primarily because of the blade adjustment (even with my changes).

For a smoothing plane, the best bargain remains a vintage Stanley or Record #4. For a modern plane, it would be LN, LV or Clifton.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-12-2024, 05:06 PM)Admiral Wrote: Worse:

https://popularwoodworking.com/review/wood-chisel-set/

Does the person writing the articles even know about chisels and good companies who sell it.  
Uhoh 
Uhoh 
No 
No
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hmmm, still haven't figured out HOW one thinks that plane in the op's photo IS a Harbor Freight No. 33....or is it just the usual "any excuse to bash Harbor Freight" going on?

Unlike some here..I did own a #33..and concerted it to a #3 sized Scrub Plane....which it seemed to be very good at.  

The Stanley Block plane?   I'll pass...

Harbor Freight DOES sell a Bailey style #4....with a block plane in the same box...save your money on those 2...

However..the H-F one like that Stanley  wannabee...is a #3 sized plane...

Sounds like someone is a bit confused?
Similar style, particularly the depth adjustment.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-08-2024, 05:13 PM)cpolubin Wrote: The article says it was written by the Pop Wood Review Team.

(snip)

One would wonder if the editorial staff is aware of what is being posted under the magazines name.

Cliff

They are....
(02-13-2024, 01:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Does the person writing the articles even know about chisels and good companies who sell it.  
Uhoh 
Uhoh 
No 
No

No, because it wasn't written by a person.  It was written using artificial intelligence.  Just goes to tell you how AI doesn't always give you a correct or good answer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
“Artificial Intelligence?” Sounds more like “Real Stupidity.”
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp