Trestle table and benches in red oak build
I'll be starting this table in the coming week.  Unlike the attached images it will be modeled after, it will have a straight plank top and glued up legs instead of the reclaimed post look. 

Size will be 30x72.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I like the look of that quite a bit.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
I made a long table, but my wood was rough one inch walnut. After planning the boards to 3/4, the top looked way too thin. The solution was to glue a 2-inch strip to the underside all around. That made the tabletop look like 1 1/2 inches thick, but it didn’t add any weight.

Note: Due to wood movement, the pieces glued to the underside of the ends were made up of a lot of end grain pieces.
(02-18-2024, 06:30 PM)Petertaylor Wrote: I made a long table, but my wood was rough one inch walnut. After planning the boards to 3/4, the top looked way too thin. The solution was to glue a 2-inch strip to the underside all around. That made the tabletop look like 1 1/2 inches thick, but it didn’t add any weight.

Note: Due to wood movement, the pieces glued to the underside of the ends were made up of a lot of end grain pieces.

I'm using heavy cut 8/4" lumber for the top, so it'll be closer to 1.5" thick.  I'm not worried about weight.
Semper fi,
Brad

I've finally made some progress on this build.  Leg assemblies are cut.  Round overs cut onto corners.  Floating tenons glued into one side. 

Tomorrow I'll finish sanding and then assemble them with draw bore pins.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

The router sled is interesting.
Is it fiddley? What’s it take to get a repeatable angle—do you have another jig to set it?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(02-24-2024, 09:10 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I've finally made some progress on this build.  Leg assemblies are cut.  Round overs cut onto corners.  Floating tenons glued into one side. 

Tomorrow I'll finish sanding and then assemble them with draw bore pins.

If that's how you are cutting mortises, you really need one of my horizontal router mortisers.  Link

[Image: ABLVV85zp1TWYxET7K6_laCV4emtJwupDbJLlPbu...authuser=1]

Or buy a Domino for a LOT more.  In either case, if you want to make mortises accurately and efficiently, it's time to ditch the jig.  

John
(02-25-2024, 10:17 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: The router sled is interesting.
Is it fiddley? What’s it take to get a repeatable angle—do you have another jig to set it?

No need to set an angle.  It cuts 90* to the face that it sits on.  Not fiddly at all.  Not as flexible or quick as a Domino, but much less expensive and works really well. 

Look up "Mortise Master" on YouTube.

(02-25-2024, 12:52 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If that's how you are cutting mortises, you really need one of my horizontal router mortisers.  Link

[Image: ABLVV85zp1TWYxET7K6_laCV4emtJwupDbJLlPbu...authuser=1]

Or buy a Domino for a LOT more.  In either case, if you want to make mortises accurately and efficiently, it's time to ditch the jig.  

John

I've thought about it and likely will, but the Mortise Master works really well for my needs until I can justify the purchase of a Domino.
Semper fi,
Brad

Looking forward to the build
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Dry fitting the stretchers and braces to the glued-up leg assemblies creates a surprisingly rigid structure.  I imagine it'll be nigh indestructible once glue is applied.

Base length is 43.5". Top will be 30"x72", leaving 14" overhangs in the ends.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad