negative rake scrapers
so, just playing around with a little tri-tipped bowl, and wanted to touch up the inside a bit.  have several scrapers and am aware of the techniques to use them on the inside of a bowl.  but, i was having some issues, so decided to give a negative rake a go, and am definitely glad i did.  got a 2-piece set from PSI, and reground both of them  --  very happy with the end results.  
Yes
Never used one so far.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I picked one up from another woodturner's estate sale (local turning group connection). Still working on getting the sharpening down, esp. between the grinder versus a carbide honer, but I am really liking the NRS for the final smoothing cut.
(02-13-2024, 11:34 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: so, just playing around with a little tri-tipped bowl, and wanted to touch up the inside a bit.  have several scrapers and am aware of the techniques to use them on the inside of a bowl.  but, i was having some issues, so decided to give a negative rake a go, and am definitely glad i did.  got a 2-piece set from PSI, and reground both of them  --  very happy with the end results.  
Yes

I'm a 'hack' turner.  I can make a nice bowl, and can turn spindles with a reasonable repeatability.  But I'm self taught, and videos of 'real' turners pretty well say I do it wrong.  
Laugh

Whole lotta years back there was 'gathering' at a guy's business shop in Dallas.  Steve somebody.  Can't remember his last name.  I think Martin was there, and Mike Mastin.  I took my mini lathe and was happy to share with the newbies.  Larry Hancock was there... and he was a REAL turner.  I still get a little chuckle inside when I remember him gently 'taking over' to make sure nobody got hurt doings things my way. 

I can't even remember the name of the site that 'spawned'  Sawmill Creek for sure.  Was it Badger Pond?
(02-14-2024, 07:28 AM)KC Wrote: I'm a 'hack' turner.  I can make a nice bowl, and can turn spindles with a reasonable repeatability.  But I'm self taught, and videos of 'real' turners pretty well say I do it wrong.  
Laugh

Whole lotta years back there was 'gathering' at a guy's business shop in Dallas.  Steve somebody.  Can't remember his last name.  I think Martin was there, and Mike Mastin.  I took my mini lathe and was happy to share with the newbies.  Larry Hancock was there... and he was a REAL turner.  I still get a little chuckle inside when I remember him gently 'taking over' to make sure nobody got hurt doings things my way

I can't even remember the name of the site that 'spawned'  Sawmill Creek for sure.  Was it Badger Pond?

ok, that's pretty funny . . . would probably happen to me too!  
Laugh
(02-13-2024, 06:17 PM)grwold Wrote: I picked one up from another woodturner's estate sale (local turning group connection).  Still working on getting the sharpening down, esp. between the grinder versus a carbide honer, but I am really liking the NRS for the final smoothing cut.

greg!!  
Big Grin

i didn't use any specific angles for mine, i just knew the basics of what i was shooting for.  just amazing how big a difference such a small thing makes.  
Yes
(02-14-2024, 07:28 AM)KC Wrote: I'm a 'hack' turner.  I can make a nice bowl, and can turn spindles with a reasonable repeatability.  But I'm self taught, and videos of 'real' turners pretty well say I do it wrong.  
Laugh

Whole lotta years back there was 'gathering' at a guy's business shop in Dallas.  Steve somebody.  Can't remember his last name.  I think Martin was there, and Mike Mastin.  I took my mini lathe and was happy to share with the newbies.  Larry Hancock was there... and he was a REAL turner.  I still get a little chuckle inside when I remember him gently 'taking over' to make sure nobody got hurt doings things my way. 

That is some really pretty wood there.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.