The correct paint
This is new, but also a continuation matching paint.  It took me a while but this is where I am today. I also gave the cutter head a spin and I might as well put in some new bearings. Not to much extra work at this point. I am not a fan of insert cutter heads but bearing come with the cutter heads, at least  I think so. It is not as expensive as it could be. I probably will just do bearings but I just wanted to say I am considering an insert cutter head. As wall as repainting the whole machine. anyway now I know why I couldn't move the tables.

Tom
True Value hardware X-O Rust machinery gray #125734 is a perfect match for the Delta light gray

Ed
No help on the paint, but I have that exact same jointer.
(02-27-2024, 06:02 PM)EdL Wrote: True Value hardware X-O Rust machinery gray #125734 is a perfect match for the Delta light gray

Ed

I am assuming that it is Rust-Oleum paint. I do not have a True Value hardware store close by  so I will check out a different source for Rust-Oleum before finding a True Value. Thank you for the tip, it is most welcome.

I now have it completely dissembled except for the getting the pully and the bearings. One bearing is in prefect shape But I will probably do both. I guess today is going to be de-rust and clean up parts day.  Next week it is supposed to be really nice so maybe I can get my parts out side an d get them painter.

Tom
I'll check the can, see if it tells who made it. TV makes some of their own paint. This isn't made by Rust-Oleum, it's a better product..

Ed
(02-27-2024, 05:45 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: This is new, but also a continuation matching paint.  It took me a while but this is where I am today. I also gave the cutter head a spin and I might as well put in some new bearings. Not to much extra work at this point. I am not a fan of insert cutter heads but bearing come with the cutter heads, at least  I think so. It is not as expensive as it could be. I probably will just do bearings but I just wanted to say I am considering an insert cutter head. As wall as repainting the whole machine. anyway now I know why I couldn't move the tables.

Tom

I have two jointers, an old Delta 37-315 8" with blades and a modern Grizzly Parallelogram 6", that I installed a Shelix head. With freshly sharpened blades, you can't tell any difference in the cut.

For me, the older, vintage jointers, with a mass of cast iron, are just so easy to setup and maintain.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Can says made by GPM, in the USA.

Ed
Wink 
Thank you Tony. I have been flipping between a new insert cutter head and just sharpening the blades. I have only tried a inserted cutter head once And I thought it took more force to move the wood a crossed the inserted head than with knives. But then I take shallower cuts, but more of them, than most do. So I was thinking may be the person had the infeed table set for a much heavier cut.

I do not remember if I posted it or not but I know have the jointer completely apart. I need to replace only one bearing, but I will do both. Since I sharpen my own Knives I think I will stay with the knives. The cutter head has jacking screws which make setting knives a piece of cake. I have the ways all cleaned up and the outfeed table is good to go also. 

Because if the condition of every thing I am going to take my cutter head into work tomorrow and tear it down I think they have a gear puller. Washing the painter parts and a some more cleaning is the only reason for not painting the parts. That and good weather, have to paint it outside. I am going to take EDL's advise on the paint bit I have a 30 mile drive to get to a TV hardware store.

Will probably post some more pictures tomorrow.

Tom
I went to a True Value hardware store today. I had help looking at the cans until I mentioned it wasn't Rust-oleum but XO rust. And the guy said that that brand was over at the end of the isle. Anyway we found the correct number and I bought 2 cans of spray paint.

So thank you Edl.  

I was going to paint it any color close but the correct color will take less paint. And I will get better coverage.

Thanks again

Tom
Still out on staying with knives or getting a new insert cutter head. I have to pull the bearing caps that hold the head in the machine so the work is the same.

Tom