An old fashioned gloat...
Smile 
Good lord we used to have a lot of crowing on here. I have been fortunate in the past and probably conveyed it here myself. It seems the real tool gloats are harder to come by.
This one is of a rough-cut wood variety...
I needed some poplar paint grade. I answered an ad on Facebook—mostly Poplar and some maple Air dried for 20 years for $500. Didn't care for the maple but what the hay... sight unseen I offered $400 and said I would be there promptly.
They accepted... YES
Yes

My thoughts and best guess was around 340--- 360 BF. It turned out to be 440 BF. All pretty flat and around 4/4
200 BF of White Oak half of which is Quarter sawn with nice flake.
About 80 BF of maple which is curly and spalted.
120 BF of Poplar Pretty nice stuff...
40 BF of Cherry...
I am one happy camper hoping to find someplace to put it all...

[attachment=50064]

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

You made a great score.
That is certainly gloat worthy!

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-01-2024, 10:05 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: Good lord we used to have a lot of crowing on here. I have been fortunate in the past and probably conveyed it here myself. It seems the real tool gloats are harder to come by.
This one is of a rough-cut wood variety...
I needed some poplar paint grade. I answered an ad on Facebook—mostly Poplar and some maple Air dried for 20 years for $500. Didn't care for the maple but what the hay... sight unseen I offered $400 and said I would be there promptly.
They accepted... YES
Yes

My thoughts and best guess was around 340--- 360 BF. It turned out to be 440 BF. All pretty flat and around 4/4
200 BF of White Oak half of which is Quarter sawn with nice flake.
About 80 BF of maple which is curly and spalted.
120 BF of Poplar Pretty nice stuff...
40 BF of Cherry...
I am one happy camper hoping to find someplace to put it all...

Wow, he shoots, he scores.

Nice score!
Love to see the gloat posts- lets make it a thing again. Nice score.
Yep, less than $1/bf is gloat worthy.  

John
Nice score! Well worth $400.
Yes

I miss the days of searching and searching and then getting an absolute score. It's been years. I buy so much lumber now, it's all about the availability and input cost. I just ordered 4k bf of oak and cherry yesterday, and 10 years ago it would have been an absolute score, but now it's just business. 
Laugh

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Very nice score! Gloat worthy for sure

Well done!!

Very gloat worthy.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Embrace the suck!  Congratulations on a super find, fishhh4.

While the OP proved that there are still deals and gloats to be had, I think the rise of FaceBook Marketplace has likely made them much fewer and farther between.  In my own case, I've sold a couple of large items (ATV and a utility trailer) and a couple significant smaller items (concrete mixer and chipper shredder) in the past several weeks that fetched a price well above what I originally thought possible.  Research on FB Marketplace led me to a better (for me) going rate than I thought would be the case.  I wanted the stuff gone, but I didn't want to give it away.  That research on the "going rate" probably netted me several $K more than if I had just gone with my gut to start off with.  Plus, I was still able to price them somewhat aggressively and they were gone quickly; none of the items took more than a few hours to sell.

Still, nice to see a W'Netter smoke out a great deal!
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")