Stinky sink
(03-04-2024, 06:38 AM)KC Wrote: Might be the answer right here.  I can count on one hand the number of times we've actually used the 'stopper', so I may crawl under there and unhook it  (and then leave it unhooked so we can just pull it out).
Sink in primary bath, gets used probably 19 times every day.

Removed stopper, stuck the bottle washer brush down there and cleaned with baking soda, then gave it another baking soda/vinegar treatment.  Still stinky.  I guess I'll take the trap apart and clean THAT as well... something I didn't do when I had it out the other day.
I've de-stinked a lav sink given to clogging and smelling bad in the overflow channel by pouring one of the gloppy liquid drain cleaners down the overflow hole.
(03-04-2024, 02:13 PM)KC Wrote: Removed stopper, stuck the bottle down there and cleaned with baking soda, then gave it another baking soda/vinegar treatment.  Still stinky.  I guess I'll take the trap apart and clean THAT as well... something I didn't do when I had it out the other day.

Have you tried a enzyme type drain cleaner ?    Roly
(03-03-2024, 02:34 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Does you trap have water in it.

Bump

2nd question.. Does it have one of those DIY corrugated flex pipes that scream "I should have hired a plumber" thingies? Crap get hung up in the corrugations. Wet crap rots.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-04-2024, 07:24 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Bump

2nd question.. Does it have one of those DIY corrugated flex pipes that scream "I should have hired a plumber" thingies? Crap get hung up in the corrugations. Wet crap rots.

Nope.  Package trap/tailpiece.
In addition to the trap drying out sometimes there is a problem with the venting. Like if there is debris clogging the main vent then the traps can be sucked dry and get sewer gas coming through. If the toilet/sink/bath drains are all connected sometimes you notice funny gurgling noises when one drains and steals air from the other. I've cleaned vents on the roof with a bladder on the end of a garden hose, the problem is getting to it.
(03-05-2024, 06:17 AM)KC Wrote: Nope.  Package trap/tailpiece.

Full of water?

Do you have a P trap or an S trap? Hopefully a longish piece of pipe horizontal off your P trap?

Your P Trap can siphon off enough, while draining to leak air if it's really an S trap or if it's a P trap with too short of pipe coming off it. The water in the P has to be up to the weir (sp?)

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Follow up...

Not stinky anymore, been 'good' for a week or more.  So still don't know.  
Laugh
(03-14-2024, 05:26 AM)KC Wrote: Follow up...

Not stinky anymore, been 'good' for a week or more.  So still don't know.  
Laugh

Do you have a dog? Most of the phantom smells in our house get attributed to the dog

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-15-2024, 11:53 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Do you have a dog? Most of the phantom smells in our house get attributed to the dog

Can't hang this on the muttsies.  Corners eaten off the baseboard... yeah.  
No