All you might want to know about sole "flatness"
Castings have long been left out in the weather, it was a method of stress reliveing them....to prevent warpage during machining.
Engine blocks were stress relived during the "shake out" operation after casting. They would be ran down a vibrating shake out to remove the sand cores, rotating 360° as they traveled.

Ed
Cleaned this up tonight...got rid of the rusty stuff...

Beltsanded...then rubbed down with a candle...

Sharpened the iron, and mated it to the chipbreaker for a gap-free fit. 

Took a few test drives to get things fettled in...left the frog in place, and did not move it.  Chipbreaker is sitting back about 2mm from the edge, for now.
Took a few tries to get to full width..

Gets addicting after a while, don't it...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-20-2024, 06:17 PM)EricU Wrote: I remember seeing castings at Delta just sitting outside.  They get cleaned up later, no reason to fight the rust.
Melancholy thought.

I vaguely remember the foundry in Clearfield making large castings, such as for OBI presses and the one in DuBois making smaller castings for electric motor housings. Does Bellefonte still an active foundry?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-21-2024, 04:36 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Does Bellefonte still an active foundry?

Years ago, when I was sort of looking into having something cast, I'm pretty sure the closest foundry was at least an hour from here towards the PA wilds.  I don't recall ever hearing of a foundry near here.  When I search for "foundry near me," I get a link to ones that are 3 hours away or foundry park on the Penn State campus where the foundry used to be.  Nice park, but the crucible is now a statue. They tore down the building because the park was a class gift that was originally built in an unofficial parking lot.  People complained, so they tore down the foundry building, moved the park over 100 feet, and expanded the official parking lot.

I'm trying to remember where I saw the picture of Delta castings being aged.  Maybe in Fine Woodworking?  Or maybe someone posted it in the early days of the internet. They were under a roof, but it was open to the weather.

How flat? You wouldn't believe me if I told you
?beautiful job, Tom!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-21-2024, 06:27 PM)Tony Z Wrote: ?beautiful job, Tom!

Besides the condition of the sole that you are discussing here, one thing I find even more troublesome with metal planes than the sole is how out of square the sides usually are. I have had 7 pre 1939 and some post 1939 Stanley and Record planes, none of them had usable sides. I simply cannot use them on a shooting board. I needed to square a wooden plane for the shooting board.
That would be because those planes you mentioned, were never designed to be USED on a Chuting Board in the first place....and would count as Mis-use of a tool.  They did make planes designed for use on a chutting board...No. 51/52...Maybe go and check that one out?...

Yes, the old Stanley metal planes were not a perfect 90 degrees..sides to the sole...might have been due to ease of casting?  But, then again, they were not making those planes to be used on chutting boards, now were they. 

Of course, when one learns HOW to use the saws..the reliance on chutting boards goes away, doesn't it....
"Very Pretty, sir!  But, can it cut?"    to paraphrase a quote from the "Dirty Dozen"

One can polish up a butter knife to a mirror-like shine..and it still won't cut butter...

Go and Joint a length of Teak, and come back and show the results....
(03-22-2024, 11:40 AM)bandit571 Wrote: "Very Pretty, sir!  But, can it cut?"    to paraphrase a quote from the "Dirty Dozen"

One can polish up a butter knife to a mirror-like shine..and it still won't cut butter...

Go and Joint a length of Teak, and come back and show the results....

Are you going to say it's raining too?
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com