Abrasive wraps for SuperMax Drum Sander
Good morning, all.

I have a SuperMax 19-38 drum sander that I picked up as part of a package deal on some used WWing machines two years ago.  When I got it, it came with a stock of SuperMax-branded abrasive wraps ranging from 36 to 220 grit.  I've found that I use the 150 grit and 180 grit the most, and now I'm looking to replenish the stock.  

There's a significant price difference between Klingspor's 3-pack of wraps and the SuperMax branded wraps.  Does anybody have any thoughts about performance differences between these two brands?  I've used Klingspor's in other forms before and had satisfactory results.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I use Mirka and cut my own...

Ed
I use3 Klingspor on my 19/38, and like EdL I buy bulk and cut my own. I did keep the end from a factory cut wrap to use as a pattern for the tapered end. Anyway, over the eyars (going back to my Delta 18/36) I've always had good results from 2 brands...the first being Klingspor and the second was from the now defunct Woodworker's Supply. I'm sure there are several other good ones out there, but I've had no need to buy anything else. Also, 120 is what is usually on my sander..another learning I had was that anything over 150 can get clogged/burnt fairly quickly. After all these aren't finish sanding machines (IMHO, of course).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a different brand of drum sander but, like others, buy bulk sanding media and cut my own strips.  Pretty simple task and a lot more cost effective.  I buy whatever I can find cheapest and haven't seen much difference in any of them.  

I guess it depends upon what you do, but I keep 80 and 100 grit on the drums of my sander.  120 grit is OK, too, but anything higher tends to load up very quickly and, in the worst case, causes burning on the wood.  Cherry and maple are especially bad in this regard, and it's a real bear to remove those streaks.  

John
A source I've used is Industrial Abrasives in Reading PA. A supplier that has gotten good reviews is Supergrit but I have no experience with them.
(03-11-2024, 12:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have a different brand of drum sander but, like others, buy bulk sanding media and cut my own strips.  Pretty simple task and a lot more cost effective.  I buy whatever I can find cheapest and haven't seen much difference in any of them.  

I guess it depends upon what you do, but I keep 80 and 100 grit on the drums of my sander.  120 grit is OK, too, but anything higher tends to load up very quickly and, in the worst case, causes burning on the wood.  Cherry and maple are especially bad in this regard, and it's a real bear to remove those streaks.  

John

Add bubinga and bloodwood to this list too! Especially bloodwood, virtually impossible to avoid burning.
Frank
(03-12-2024, 12:55 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Add bubinga and bloodwood to this list too! Especially bloodwood, virtually impossible to avoid burning.

Yes!  I drum sanded a clock ring I made out of bloodwood, and it was on the cusp of burning.  All around nasty stuff, bloodwood.  Brittle, stains everything, pretty awfuyl to work with.  Sure looks pretty though.  

[Image: AP1GczNjr_bGJ_KbJbSuGmzmuhjXHSpyKYd2TpHx...authuser=1]

John
(03-12-2024, 02:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes!  I drum sanded a clock ring I made out of bloodwood, and it was on the cusp of burning.  All around nasty stuff, bloodwood.  Brittle, stains everything, pretty awfuyl to work with.  Sure looks pretty though.  

John

It is pretty and smells like cinnamon when you cut it. But yes, everything else about it sux!
Frank
I have used klingspors, 2sand.com and supergrit. They all were good products. I just recently priced H &L rolls for a new drum sander I got, and supergrit had really good pricing compared to the others.
Gordon
Thanks for the inputs.

I've ordered other products from Supergrit before.  Maybe I'll give them a shot for this order.

I understand the inputs regarding the finer grits and burning.  I've been battling that all along the way.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")