Help ID saw
Any idea what this saw is used for? Got it in an auction lot and not sure what the purpose is. The blade is slightly higher than the bed, very much like a jamb saw but I've never run into something quite like this.

(03-11-2024, 04:58 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Any idea what this saw is used for? Got it in an auction lot and not sure what the purpose is. The blade is slightly higher than the bed, very much like a jamb saw but I've never run into something quite like this.

It's a veneer saw, used with a straightedge to cut veneer.
Rick
That is a mitre jack saw used on a mitre jack. Yours looks like a French one that I have.
Take a look here https://youtu.be/IVcyWmrXuhw?si=2_jtFT-c1nr9ezId
That’s the ticket. There was a box of other stuff in the lot that said miter jack. It’s from Benchcrafted. So that answers 2 questions. I think the box is a kit to make the vise.
Well, everything but the wooden screw part. That might be a problem.
Well, I just learned something new .
Now you need the mitre plane and your good to go 
Big Grin
Who would use such a tool? Frame makers? What advantage does it have compared to a conventional miter box? Seems like a specialized tool.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
RE: miter plane
Not in the same lot, but I bought a LV shooting plane at the same auction. Coincidence that I bought 2 tools that go together. I posted a link to the auction in the hand tools section. Auction is over now but worth checking out- this dude had one heck of an impressive WW tool collection.

The miter jack is why I love auctions. Didn’t even know what I was buying but I’m learning new techniques and tools.