Woops
Need help correcting a goof

I cut 4 narrow dado grooves to receive the Rocker sliding door track. Unfortunately I now have the entire cabinet assembled and glued up and the dados are too narrow. I can't really fit a router in there to widen them, plus I'm concerned I might damage the whole piece using power tools at this point. I tried a flat file but it didn't remove much material at all. I'm considering the very tedious process of using a dremel.

Thsnks, any ideas to make this process less tedious.are welcome. And yes I know this was dumb I should have measured the grooves with a caliper.
How about a back saw and then either a chisel or hand router to clean out the dado?
Will a palm router fit?  If so, that's what I'd use.  Where the router can't get to, I'd cut lines with a knife and then carefully chisel out what needs to be.  

John
What’s sliding in the groove? If it’s wood, make rabbet so it will fit the dado.
VH07V  
Take a look at the Veritas Side Rabbet plane. It's designed to do exactly what you need.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(03-14-2024, 04:09 PM)cpolubin Wrote: Take a look at the Veritas Side Rabbet plane. It's designed to do exactly what you need.

Cliff

Agree 100%.  Those planes are an awkward pain to use inside a cabinet.  When grain changes direction, they can pick out.  The double blade design has one blade sticking up and this can be uncomfortable. Often one has to pull on it instead of pushing.
With all its down sides, such a plane is priceless to have when needed.  I wouldn't be without the old Record I've had for decades.  It has saved my bacon many times.

Attached Files Image(s)

sliding door hardware

If this is what you are dealing with, you might be able to set up a special cutter for a small scraper tool.

Otherwise, the side router recommendation above ^^^ may be your best bet.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
How much do you need to remove?
What joinery did you use for this piece?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
A utility knife with an aluminum ruler clamped as a fence did the trick, albeit painstakingly
(03-18-2024, 12:20 PM)davco Wrote: A utility knife with an aluminum ruler clamped as a fence did the trick, albeit painstakingly

The simple approach often is the best one.  Glad it worked out for you.

John