Vacuum Pump
I think I am interested in a vacuum pump for my Powermatic lathe.

I know of the advantages and that's about it.  Oh, and continuous run pumps are better.  Where do I get good information?  Obviously building your own saves $$$.  Do the pumps with the "vacuum pots" work for lathes?  As you can see, I have lots of questions.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I built this kit from Joe Woodworker. I use it for my vacuum press and for the lathe. Works great!

Vacuum Pump
Frank
Joe Woodworker has a good reputation. I would not hesitate to buy from him.

I am having a senior moment about the name of the last person I picked up a vac kit with a pump. Something like "Stingy Woodworker." When I find the name, I will update.

There used to be someone who would sell refurbished vacuum pumps in SnS. It might be worth posting a WTB there.

For turning, the venturi-effect vacuum pumps work well if you have a good air compressor. They are not really suited for vacuum bags, though.

Having the proper valves and a vacuum gauge for the manifold are obvious basics. It is a good idea to add a phase separator filter to keep abrasive dust out of the pump in case you make a funnel while using a vacuum chuck.

Update: I think that the person that I got the kit from was Frugal Vacuum Chuck.
I dealt with them at one of the AAW symposia.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-14-2024, 07:39 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I think I am interested in a vacuum pump for my Powermatic lathe.

I know of the advantages and that's about it.  Oh, and continuous run pumps are better.  Where do I get good information?  Obviously building your own saves $$$.  Do the pumps with the "vacuum pots" work for lathes?  As you can see, I have lots of questions.

I recommend a vacuum pump, not a dust collector Venturi type or an air compressor Venturi type. Just my opinion...

I got lucky and found 1 on Craigslist. It was on a big piece of medical equipment. Not as deep a vacuum as an HVAC pump, but close enough for me. I haven't had a workpiece fly away.

Look for a used one. I wouldn't be afraid of buying it from Harbor Freight.

If you get an HVAC pump, you should think about adding a vent valve, very thin pieces might crack from a deep vacuum.

I haven't bought from here yet, but it all looks good to me.  Rubber Chucky

https://www.rubberchucky.com/store/c4/VA...%29.html#/

Attached Files Image(s)

I bought a Robinair in 2018, I use it for stabilizing and my lathe. Just change the oil often. $100+
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning