Time & Tung Oil
Time & Tung Oil

Quote:Here is a piece that was made in 2018 and has aged beautifully.

"IMMEMORIAL TREE OF LIFE"

This piece is a 15 1/2" D Curly Cherry Platter. Was hand drawn, and lightly hand carved and then the image burned. I'm glad I finish with Tung Oil and dry for several months then did the carving work. then I used Deft sanding sealer then sanded back to 800 grit and hand buffed w/ a cloth. You can see that the lighter section stands out more that was carved after letting the Tung Oil dry, just before this photo was taken after I gave it a wipe of Daddy Vans bees wax and it really POPS! The last photo is what it looked like when I made it in 2018.

Attached Files Image(s)

As always, another amazing piece of art.  I've worked with cherry only twice, so no real experience with the color change yet.  Thank you for showing the change.  Because of the title of the post, I assume you did not expose the piece to sun light.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-16-2024, 07:56 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: As always, another amazing piece of art.  I've worked with cherry only twice, so no real experience with the color change yet.  Thank you for showing the change.  Because of the title of the post, I assume you did not expose the piece to sun light.
Bill thank you, I'm sure it got some sun this piece was in our guest room up stairs the room has heavy thick curtains, so more time than sun and the Tung oil will darken as well preserve the wood.
That's aged nicely! I love the way cherry ages. I made a tool cabinet from cherry and just used BLO as the finish. No toners or dyes. It's a beautiful deep orange-red now
Still Learning,

Allan Hill